Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Kitfox category/regisrtation?

Default Re: Canadian Kitfox category/regisrtation?

Try giving mdra a call. To my understanding you will get c-fxxx c-gxxx..we don’t have experimental catagory here...nor do we have to have the placard..

Thank's Alan,

That's a good idea. Would you happen to know if I should speak with anyone in particular?

Ideally I think it would be great if a factory Kitfox could be registered as a GA airplane. Right now I have my basic PPL, but if I had my own plane that was capable, I'd be interested in adding a night rating, IFR, floats, etc.

Here is the link

http://www.md-ra.com/en/

If you build the aircraft yourself and have a ppl with the ratings such as night, float etc you can fly the aircraft as though it was a Cessna no real difference

Here in Canada our Reg’s are slightly different..checkout the mdra website there is a ton of info...you don’t have to be the builder to enjoy the benefits...

The only ugly is the the owner maintained category for certified aircraft where you can’t fly the airplane in the us or sell the aircraft to the us.

There are tons of rules...

Thank you, you are very helpful!

I should be able to give them a call tomorrow.

While I love the idea of building my own Kitfox, I don't have the space in my home to build one, that's why I'm looking at going the factory built one.

That's great to hear that as far as categorization goes it's possible to have it categorized similar to a Cessna so that I can go down the path of adding rating to my license and use them with the Kitfox.

Yes, through my research so far I do know I want to avoid the owner maintained category. I also hear that it really makes it hard to sell the aircraft on to another person here in Canada.

Thanks again! :-)

I believe a factory built kit aircraft will be registered as amature build aircraft.

I just got off the phone with MD-RA and thought I'd post what they said, just in case anyone else is looking for an answer.

If Kitfox builds does the build it will be classified as either a basic or advanced ultralight (and would therefore be restricted to daytime VFR).

To meet Canadian amateur built requirements 50% of the aircraft has to be individual/group built (and would not have any restrictions).

Thanks again for the help folks!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Well that's not going to work.

I don't believe Kitfox factory builds the model 4, which would fit the ultralight criteria. newer models will have the 1550 gross weight or 1320 SLSA.

Option 2, Buy a used SLSA , or 5,6,7 that has 100hrs of airtime and import and register as an amateur built .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I've been told by mdra in the past that as long as you are there to "supervise the build" anyone can build it for you and can be registered as amateur built. But, maybe the kicker is that it would be build in the USA?

The kicker is the inspections would have to be done in the USA. However, the "builder" would have to be able to answer any and all questions asked too.

Otherwise, you are 100% correct.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

The person I spoke with from MD-RA told me that they do two inspections, one before the covering and a final. You have to pay the travel cost, accommodation cost, and the MD-RA fees.