Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Whelan A600 strobe/position lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Whelan A600 strobe/position lights

Strobe/position lights are now drawing much more power than before...other power draws including radio, elect. fuel pumps, haven't changed on the ammeter. All lights still work....replaced position lights with LEDs previously, and had significant drop in amp usage (many hours ago)....now, even they seem to be drawing excessively. Replaced power supply many hours ago because I reversed polarity....new supply worked normally for many hours....ideas?
    Ken (mod. 4, 914, 1300 hrs.)

Default Re: Whelan A600 strobe/position lights

Are both the strobes and position lights drawing more power? And how much more?

Is the strobe power supply a Whelan?

Are the position light leds Whelan?

Can't tell if both are drawing the same, as volt/ammeter just shows the drop in the total system...I have a split toggle switch for the strobes and the position lights, and turning each on separately shows a considerable drop in voltage and increase in amperage flow.....strobe draw probably 6 - 7 amps and pos. Light draw 3-4 amps. I would suspect voltage reg. or charging circuit, except other electrical draws are not affecting the meter abnormally. The LED replacement lights are not Whelan, but the newer power supply is direct replacement, and all items have been working normally for past 100 or so hours.

May be that the LED's don't have a driver or don't have the correct driver to regulate the supply voltage to match the LED requirements. If that is the case the draw will go up until the LED's eventually burns out. If I remember correctly, Whelan has retrofit LED's with integral matched drivers.

7 amps for strobes sounds normal, 4 amps for pos. also sounds normal for the std. lights, but not for LED's - hence my thought that the driver is not regulating the flow correctly.

If not occuring with other electrical devices, I doubt it's the regulator or in the charging circuit.

I have an un-related question to the power issue. Where are folks mounting the Whellan circuit control box in the KF fuselage?

Maverick,

Don't have a Whelan; but do have a similar unit of another brand. I mounted a separate double flash control box in each wingtip rather than mount a single control unit in the fuselage. I couldn't get used to the idea of running a high voltage cable past my fuel tanks. Two sets of 12 V wires to each wing tip - one for the strobes and one for the position lights.

Also figured with two control boxes, if one took a dump (which one did) I'd at least have one working strobe till I got back home.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I am looking for examples of how you have mounted the Whelan A600 strobe and navigation lights to the fiberglass wing tips. It looks like it will require some fiberglass work. I'd like to see what others have done if you are willing to share.
    Thanks

If you have the Hoerner wingtips, Kitfox sells some fiberglass pieces for mounting strobe/nav lights. These pieces attach to the wingtips without too much fiberglass work.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have the Hoerner wing tips and a separate wing tip standoff that I had to trim, rivet and glue onto the wingtip and then bondo and sand the seams to smooth the transition. Then I cut the clearance holes in the standoff for the Nav/Strobe. I also put floating nut plates behind the fiberglass so I don't have to remove the wingtips in order to remove the light fixtures.

IMG_6896.jpgIMG_7003.jpg
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Nothing special on these standard 7SS tips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind