Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Add trim tab on Kitfox 4?

Default Add trim tab on Kitfox 4?

Working a little bit on the Kitfox 4 I'm rebuilding. Basically I have to sandblast the tailfeathers and controls, repaint them and then start reassembly. I peeled off the fabric on the trailfeathers a couple of days ago. There was an add on adjustable trim tab on the elevator. The hinges were pop riveted in place on both ends of the tab. Now get this... 3/16" aluminum rivets were used, and to top it off, when the guy drilled the holes, he went through both sides of the 3/8" tube. Took half the material away even though the rivets didn't go through the inner hole. Makes you wonder what goes through some people's minds at times. Anyway, got to get some welding done to patch it up. I got thinking, why not add a built in trim tab while I'm at it. Those of you who are flying Kitfox 4s, would you do it? If you don't have a trim tab, do your wish you did? Any body got any pics of theirs when they did? Thanks, JImChuk

Default Re: Add trim tab on Kitfox 4?

I added a trim tab to the modified elevator on the Mangy Fox. One of the best mods I did to the plane. I never liked trimming with the flapperons on my 1050.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I ordered a tab from kitfox , then reworked my elevator to fit the tab
    Attached Images Attached Images

I fly a IV with a trim tab. I flew without it for a year when the switch went bad and I was too busy to fix it. I missed it but can do without if I need to a little longer. Other Irons in the fire, some pretty big.

I would definitely add a trim tab as long as you have elevator bare, no fabric. You will gain airspeed too, as trimming with the flaperons is a really draggy way to trim an airplane.

Well I bit the bullet and started cutting. Figured I had to take care of the big holes the other guy drilled in the elevator anyway, so some more welding wouldn't hurt. I can tack everything together and then I take it to a guy who tig welds it up for me. Fabrication takes the longest anyway. Just about ready to take to him. Last pic is the other side of the elevator, but it could just as well have been a "before" picture. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images