Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 80 hp 912 ul kitfox 4 round nose ivo prop speeds

Default 80 hp 912 ul kitfox 4 round nose ivo prop speeds

HI all:
    Can i have the perfomance for anybody running a 912 ul 80 hp on a model 4 with an inflight adjustable ivo prop. interested in rpms on take off and cruise and top cruise with fuel burn.. thanks Doug Model 4 has the round nose.

Default Re: 80 hp 912 ul kitfox 4 round nose ivo prop speeds

Hi Doug, i Have the model4 1050lb short wing droop tips,
    In flight varia two blade prop in flight adjustable.woodcomp
    t/off just under 5800rpm full throttle
    climb 5500rpm, full throttle
    cruise 5000rpm, 24-25 map. 90 kts bit more if light, ie solo
    the inflight adjustable prop transformed the aeroplane and in my oppinion is worth the cost. nothing electrical about it, crank a small handle to coarsen even feather if you want. cable operated through pushrod on gearbox fail safe too fully fine if cable breaks.
    manufactured czech republic europe in flight varia
    http://www.woodcomp.cz/en/in-flight-...ble-propellers
    I would reccomend fitting a manifold pressure gauge, so that you reduce the chance of over sressing your engine, And if you havent operated a variable pitch prop to get checked.
    recon 16-18 ltrs hour, mo-gas. oh my machine has a round cowl you can view G-FOXF on here under sturdee
    regards Mike

I have an ivo in a 80hp KF4. There maybe a better setup out there, but I am more than happy with the performance.Takeoff rpm is5400-5500 but I add a touch more pitch on climb out at 60kts to keep under 5800.Cruise is around 75-80 kts at 5100-5200 rpm at 25 inches manifold pressure(this seems to be the "sweet spot")using around 14-15 litres per hour. JFA is heavy at 750 pounds has a luggage pod cabane gear and Nanco tyres.
    The Ivo has been reliable for the 300+ hours I have had JFA. As an experiment I recently took off on full coarse to see if I would be stuck on the ground with a malfunction. 4700 rpm and a sluggish performance with some weird noises(cavitation?)I would fly out of most places if I had to.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by Dusty; 05-05-2018 at 02:24 PM.

what diameter ivo is that with? is this the medium blades?

Quote Originally Posted by douglas kulick View Post
    HI all:
    Can i have the perfomance for anybody running a 912 ul 80 hp on a model 4 with an inflight adjustable ivo prop...
    Model IV with round cowl, IVO light with IFA cut to 68in diameter. About 5600rpm on take off with nice climb and quick off the ground solo. About 400ft so not amazing but good. Pitched up for speed about 5200 RPM 105MPH. Again all I hoped for. I wanted a 100mile an hour plane and it does it nicely. Before I put the IFA on it would cruise about 90MPH. The In Flight Adjustable was definately worth it in my case. By the way my strip elevation is 3400 ft so might be off the ground quicker with lower elevation.
    I am also running the large Nanco tires so I am sure I have a ton of drag from that. Still a back woods capable plane that cruises at 100MPH keeps me happy. When I fly with my buddy in his Savage Cub I get to slow down to about 90 MPH. He does have the advantage of a slower stall and landing speed.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I believe my prop is a medium.
    It was a 72 inch but have trimmed it to a 70 which seems to suit the 80hp gear ratio better.

Correction it's an ultralight

I have the ultra-light 72 inch IVO inflight adjustable on my 80 hp round cowl 4,with 31 inch bushwheels.I'm at 2000 ft elevation and set it at around 5300 RPM [Static] on takeoff with me and 1/2 tanks it will be off in just over 100 ft if I pop it off with full flaps ,then bump it courser on climb and can get around 1000 fpm ,then cruise at 5500 rpm is 100 mph. On landings I set to fine .The big 31 inch tires are pretty draggy in cruise.