Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desser Tundra tire survey

Default Re: Desser Tundra tire survey

Those look huge for their size. Just curious, what is the inflated height?

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Those look huge for their size. Just curious, what is the inflated height?
    22" height

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    OK you guys sold me on the Desser 8.50 Tundras. Installed them yesterday and got a couple flights in. I find them to be just the right size for my ops. Noticeable ride improvement on my grass strip and did a few on blacktop and like how they handled that as well . When I first finished the plane in 2003, I had regular 6 ply 8.50's that weighed a bunch and handled poorly on hard surfaces due to the inertia required to spin them on touchdown (very grabby). Then I switched to 8.00's which was a big weight savings and much better handling. The 8.00's are what I replaced with the Tundras and they handle the best of the group. I was concerned that they would grab like the standard 8.50's did , but due to their low weight there was none of that . In fact weight wise , it was an even swap from the 8.00's to the Tundras, each weighing 12 lbs . with tire and tube. Early indications show I may have lost 2 mph with the bigger tires , but I can live with that. Bruce N199CL

Are these the 22" 8.50-6 Aero Classic tires? Are there many others out there who are using these with their Kitfox? I like the idea & looks of them.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

99% certain they're these, John:

Great Tyres

I reckon they look better than the 26" tyres and have yet to read a bad thing about them. I'll be looking to convince the UK LAA that they're okay for my Eurofox

Yes John , 8.50x6 4 ply smooth Tundra tire( need tubes with these). Desser website has a good description. Shop around for pricing as it varies between vendors. Bruce N199CL

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I am using the Desser 8.50-6 smooth tundras as well , really like them and they are a reasonably priced .
    Just make sure to check tire pressure when it gets real cold out or you risk shearing a valve stem.
    I run around 10psi, grass and pavement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    I am using the Desser 8.50-6 smooth tundras as well , really like them and they are a reasonably priced .
    Just make sure to check tire pressure when it gets real cold out or you risk shearing a valve stem.
    I run around 10psi, grass and pavement.
    Kevin being as that I am a newbie with these tires and fear shearing the stem on a $90 tube, I have started out at 18 PSI. So you have had no issues as low as 10 PSI? Thanks Bruce

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have had no issues and feel pretty comfortable at 10-12 psi.

When I add air I set them at 11 to 12 psi.

I sheared one valve stem this past winter, my own fault , it was -25 C, I did not check the tire pressures for about a month and the temperature dipped.
    I checked the good tube and tire after, its pressure read around 4-5 psi, way too low as well.

12 psi on pavement should be no issue, 18 psi is pretty firm. I started around there too.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    I have had no issues and feel pretty comfortable at 10-12 psi.

When I add air I set them at 11 to 12 psi.

I sheared one valve stem this past winter, my own fault , it was -25 C, I did not check the tire pressures for about a month and the temperature dipped.
    I checked the good tube and tire after, its pressure read around 4-5 psi, way too low as well.

12 psi on pavement should be no issue, 18 psi is pretty firm. I started around there too.
    Thanks for the information Kevin, Think I'll drop down to 15 PSI see how that works, then down to 12 PSI if no issues. I have marked the tires to make sure there is no slippage that I check on preflight. So far really like the new tires. Bruce N199CL