Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Kitfox IV Classic Project?

Default Re: Possible Kitfox IV Classic Project?

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like I'll be picking this project up soon and bringing it to my garage. I would like to change this to the Smooth Cowl, but it's my understanding that I will have to replace the engine mount and firewall to do this. So, that engine mount may get replaced immediately anyway. I also want to change from the tube to the Grove or Cabane landing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    ...Probably does not have a fuel return line with restrictor routed so you need to do that....
    Curious about the need for the fuel return line. 900 hours on a 1996 912UL and about a hundred on my new build with no issues ever on the original carburetor design. Start hot, start cold - no problem.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell, the fuel return line issue has been controversial for years, except with Rotax; they just flat out tell you to do it. I believe its main benefit is to reduce the likelihood of vapor lock during a hot soak and then startup. On my SS7, even with the return line, one hot summer day I landed on a river bar and got out and walked around a bit. Then did a hot start (started up fine) and about halfway thru my T/O roll the engine stumbled and lost most power. Luckily I had enough room to abort and get stopped. I ran it for a few minutes to clear the hot bubbled fuel and it then performed normally. I am sure it was vapor lock and without the return line would have been worse. I know many folks don't have the return line and never have had a problem, including you. But believe me if you do have the problem it can be very serious. My personal opinion is that it is highly specific to each model and individual Kitfox, depending on how tight your cowl is to trap heat, the weather conditions and your flying style. Since the return line is so easy to install, especially when you are building, I say just do it. The cost and time is very minimal and it certainly won't hurt anything if it is not necessary. My 2 cents.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Missed that it was a IV with the ULS.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I'm picking this up on Saturday and bringing it to my garage to begin working on it. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on transporting the motor without damaging it? Of course the shipping crate is long gone.

Sit it on an old tyre and tie it down well, the inlet manifolds are a good point to tie to. Also take some blocks of wood for packing if needed.
    Congrats on the purchase looks like a good project.
    Regards
    Tom