Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Covering has started

Default Covering has started

I have had a good time this past week spending a couple days covering, this is the result so far as seen in the photos. I am using the Superflite system, hence the green glue you see. The rudder is just about finished, perhaps completing it Sunday.
    I am to receive my wiring harness from Steinair on Tuesday so I can move back into the panel work also. One bite at a time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Covering has started

It's good to see the fabric going on. Took me 9 months before I started that phase, but it was very rewarding. Like many others on the site, I had breaks in between covering, opting to do other stuff. Variety is good.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Looking good! I've spent the weekend covering tail feathers too!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

In preparation for this phase, what are some considerations for things to accomplish on the fuselage before covering. I am using a Whelen strobe wing tip lights setup so I don't need wiring for the tail light. I've run wire for the trim. I am thinking of the radio antenna mounted on the dorsal position and the ELT. What else should I consider doing before covering?

Have you drilled the mount on the bottom of the airframe for the transponder antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    In preparation for this phase, what are some considerations for things to accomplish on the fuselage before covering. I am using a Whelen strobe wing tip lights setup so I don't need wiring for the tail light. I've run wire for the trim. I am thinking of the radio antenna mounted on the dorsal position and the ELT. What else should I consider doing before covering?
    Haven't gotten there yet, but my plan is to do as much as possible before covering the fuselage. To your list I'd add (if applicable) Aluminum angles/channels for routing plumbing and electrical up through the center console, ADAHRS, magnetometer (if required and not in your wing), pitot/static plumbing, transponder/ads-b antennae, autopilot servos, fuel header tank, and headset plugs if you plan to put them behind the seats instead of in the panel. I'm hoping others add more, because I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I included rudder cables and elevator push/pull tube. Had to slide inside my previous build that was twice the size of the kitfox and was constantly at risk for damaging fabric. Install everything before covering. Everything.
    Bud
    IV Speedster
    912 UL
    IVO ground adjustable

Your static port will probably be installed somewhere in the rear tailcone, but most likely will be installed thru the fabric on the side. I recommend installing it after the side fabric is on, but before you cover the top of the tailcone; then you will be able to easily reach down to attach the inside fittings and tubing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS