Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Old low time speedster getting flying again

Default Old low time speedster getting flying again

The forum has been great to read!

Here's my situation. I've inherited a 94 kitfox 4 speedster with a 912ul 80hp from my grand father. It's got about 77 hours total time on the plane and motor. It is been through the whole sign off by the FAA.

The plane has been sitting though for about 20 years. Always hangared and I'd give it a honest 9/10 on condition. The motor was run two years ago and me and my father got it up and running again just about two weeks ago. Ran well after a few hours and started to be clearing up. It has the grovelanding gear.

I'm a pilot with 130 total time, glider rating ( about 15 hours), 20 hours in a 140 for my tail endorsement, high performance. I'd like to learn to fly this kitfox but unsure on what the learning curve might be. I have access to a good group of very experienced tail pilots but non with time in a fox. (Ex horizon bush pilots with 1000 plus in draggers). I Played sports, 31, athletics.

I've done a few things to it since running it: (I am doing my own work with the help and guidance of my father. Who owned his own auto repair for 10 years and currently fixes motors and such for the community as a hobby, but has limited experience with rotax motors. He has worked on this motor before tho, replacing rocker arms).

Replaced all fuel lines and fuel tygon hoses (both tanks and engine)
    Overhauled the carbs (sonic cleaning, o rings, gaskets, diagphram, new needle jet and jet needle)
    New oil lines

I have not done anything to the frame of the aircraft.

Questions:
    Are their anything's you guys know about that I should be aware of to get this flight safe?
    What are the thoughts on having experienced, 0 fox time, cfis teach me in It?

Any thoughts concerns or words of encouragement are appreciated!

Default Re: Old low time speedster getting flying again

Sounds like a great plane you will really enjoy.
    Don't be tempted to try high speed taxiing,Taxy or fly,nothing in between.
    Forget about the flaps.
    I have found most pilots used to heavier metal,even Cubs can struggle with the foxes nearly instant controls response.
    Have fun

Default Re: Old low time speedster getting flying again

Your best bet is to head to Stick and Rudder in Idaho and get some transition training. It's not necessarily cheap, but in aviation monetary units, it's not unreasonable. Definitely worth it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS