Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Carbon fiber seat pans.

Default Carbon fiber seat pans.

Hi TJ,
    I just watched your touch and go video and subscribed. I'm just beginning my S7 build but have been toying with carbon fiber (making my seat storage covers, floorboards etc). We'll see how my last couple turn out over the next few days but I have been researching if I could make a one-off carbon fiber seat pan to save weight (atleast 5 lbs) but I don't think I'm ready to take on the negative mould and fabric costs just to experiment. I wasn't aware someone sells a carbon fiber seat pan. Do you have any details or know anyone who sells them? I don't think KitFox offers it.

Thanks,
    Kevin Olson
    925-255-3405
    KitFox STi

Default Re: Looking for a seat pan for a model 7

That's my understanding too, Kevin. When I asked Kitfox they said it wasn't offered. I'm also thinking of trying a CF version but, like you, am not sure I'm up for the cost and time to experiment. If I do, it'll be in the next few weeks TJay, so I'll let you know if that happens.

Kevin, I'm building an STi in Chico (joint project with my dad), and a guy named Chase is building an STi in Davis. Counting yours that's three in NorCal. We'll have to have a meet up once they're all flying.

Hey Redline,
    Great news knowing there are a few us in the same area! I'm am in the very beginning stages of my build but would love to connect with you guys at some point. Definitely haven't given up on the idea of a CF seat pan.

I have built a negative mould and made a carbon/innegra(kevlar) seat. It's a lot of work.
    Kitfox has publicly mentioned they won't produce a full carbon seat. Not sure if that has changed.
    A full carbon one should not be made due to splintering safety concerns.
    The ones seen in the past (like Trents) are fibreglass with a carbon overlay in the visual parts.

I weighed the 'lightweight' version that KF sells (no gel coat) at 6#2oz and the carbon one at 5#12oz. Hardly worth the savings for the effort.
    Not sure how much the full gel-coated one weighs to compare.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.hvac View Post
    Not sure how much the full gel-coated one weighs to compare.
    Mine has been trimmed (poorly) to fit and had the seatbelt slots cut. It weighs 6 lbs 4.8 oz.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Patrick, thanks for the weights on the carbon seat pan. I'm glad I saw this before going through the trouble of building one. You're right, not worth the weight savings unless you just want to tackle a new and interesting project.

Hey Patrick,
    Thanks for the insight. Guess the splintering potential makes sense without having a gelcoat over everything. I'm moving on for now from this distraction but I did weigh my seat pan today and it comes in at 9.26lbs. I may revisit in the future.
    Kevin
    IMG_4655.jpg

Hey Patrick, I'd be super interested to hear how you went about making a carbon/kevlar seat. For example the method you used, the weaves and weights of cloth, how you layered, etc. Would you be willing to maybe do a detailed write up on the process? (or if you have a link to something you've written already?)

I'll PM you my contact details.
    This seems to be a hotly debated topic. I don't want to appear to be falsely presenting myself as an expert or giving advice to others in contradiction to the factory.
    Happy to share what I have done of my own trials and risk so you can make your own decisions.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a seat pan for a model 7

Thanks, Patrick! Sent you an email there.