Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ads-b

Default Re: Ads-b

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Bruce, where did you mount your stubby antenna? How far from your transponder ant is it? I think i heard they wanted 5 feet separation?
    Ken
    Ken, I will get to the hangar today and get a photo and measurement for you, Bruce

Ken, here are a couple photos of my antenna locations. the front stub type antenna is for my transponder and the rear airfoiled type is for my Uavionix ADSB UAT transceiver. A stub antenna was provided with the Uavionix purchase but i was already using this airfoiled antenna for my ADSB in only receiving from a Dual 170 GPS that I have been using the last few years for in cockpit weather, so I simply plugged the new setup into this antenna. I had an inspection plate back there ,so I mounted the antenna on the metal plate and it has worked great. The distance between these two antennas is 56 inches. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bruce,

I like where you mounted the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the tail cone. Thinking about doing that also. I did ask the uAvionics people about that location and they didn't see any problem with the sllght angle of the bottom of the tailcone.

Question - do you have the com antenna on the top of the fuselage? And, what kind of ground plane; if any, did you use for the com and ads-b antenna?

I have the transponder TED antenna about the same place you have yours - maybe a little further forward; my only concern with mounting the ADS-B antenna back is the fact that I have the trigear and wondering if the gear would interfere between the two antennas? (Yeah - I already know what everyone will say about the gear location! Thinking it shouldn't matter with the proximity of the two anyway as the signal strength should be good.

Good to hear the report came back solid.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I first installed the Navworx UAT. Adhering to their instructions I obeyed the distance requirements by mounting the antenna in the tail. When my Navworx unit turned into a pumpkin I accepted the Dallas Avionics offer of a plug and play EchoUAT. That worked!! I recently received an excellent ADS-B performance report. My UAT antenna is still in the tail. I'm not sure it's necessary but that's where it is and it's working.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Bruce,

I like where you mounted the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the tail cone. Thinking about doing that also. I did ask the uAvionics people about that location and they didn't see any problem with the sllght angle of the bottom of the tailcone.

Question - do you have the com antenna on the top of the fuselage? And, what kind of ground plane; if any, did you use for the com and ads-b antenna?

I have the transponder TED antenna about the same place you have yours - maybe a little further forward; my only concern with mounting the ADS-B antenna back is the fact that I have the trigear and wondering if the gear would interfere between the two antennas? (Yeah - I already know what everyone will say about the gear location! Thinking it shouldn't matter with the proximity of the two anyway as the signal strength should be good.

Good to hear the report came back solid.
    Hi Dave , to answer your questions : my comm antenna is located just aft of the turtle deck cover on top of the fuse. I have a a microair com and transponder , and initially both antennas were installed without a ground plane. During initial flight testing I realized this setup was not going to work so I made up ground planes for both antennas (I have included a picture of my transponder antenna and the comm antenna is very similar )and that worked. The ADSB antenna , as I mentioned is simply installed in a metal inspection cover that was already there , so I thought I would give it a go without any other ground plane and apparently its working as the passed ADSB performance test showed. Good luck with the install , I am very happy with the Uavionix system and think its a good bang for your buck. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Jim here in Eastern Oregon , kitfox series 7 ..Just recived my new echouat and antenna, I see several have installed this unit as a sniffer??? how do I do that..Please

Quote Originally Posted by JAMES20011 View Post
    Hello Jim here in Eastern Oregon , kitfox series 7 ..Just recived my new echouat and antenna, I see several have installed this unit as a sniffer??? how do I do that..Please
    Hi Jim,

Just install the unit as per the instructions. Then you can download a free uAvionics app for your phone or iPad. You connect via WiFi to the Echo and can then set-up and monitor the Echo. During the simple set-up process you choose between wiring direct to your transponder or using the “sniffer” function. I wired mine direct to my Garmin 327 transponder, but you have the option to do it either way. There is nothing special you have to do other than that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Just ordered the Garmin GDL-82, I like that is uses the same antenna as the transponder. Had to remove the Navworx (anybody want an expensive paper weight ). I do have a second antenna inside the vertical stab but shouldn't need it with the 82.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Ad

I removed my Navworx box too, Finn. I like the uAvionix units that I have now.
    It’s really good to see you on the forum again!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John, good to be back.
    Given my plane is all Dynon and Garmin and I already have the GDL-39 I decided to go with the 82 with built in WAAS GPS. Low risk of the a Navworx repeat and I don't have an existing valid GPS source. Will report back on the install, should be in a week or so.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive