Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
The situation is SO different with the Super Sport. Pretty much all take-offs & landings are enhanced with full (2 notches) flaps. This was demonstrated to me by Paul at Stick & Rudder, and it works beautifully. Sorry, I didn’t mean to get off-topic, Piero.
Always interesting discussions. My take, though, my model IV with me on board weighs in the neighborhood of 350 lbs. less than the typical 7 LSA with two on board. Take off roll and landing roll might be somewhat reduced with two notches of flaps, but, I seriously think the 7 would still be struggling to meet the take off, climb and landing performance of the typical IV. This, of course with similar power plants and props. A challenge to all. On one departure from Johnson Creek in Idaho, a buddy and his teen age son took of in a Model IV, flying behind a 80 hp. Rotax 912 and flew straight out and over the "gun-sight" notch of the ridge north of the strip. I barely missed it and attribute my failure on not doing max angle for a while until I realized what Mark was trying to do. Certifieds are rarely half way up the side of the ridge before turning to follow the descending river to Yellow Pine. I would like to hear if anyone else has done the "Straight out Departure" there. (Not the flight mentioned, but the following clip shows the notch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKU0tjGMzLo