Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

View Poll Results: Did you license your Kitfox, designed for 1550#, at 1320#?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 40.00%
  • No

12 60.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1320 vs 1550

Default Re: 1320 vs 1550

Thank you for supplying the data from FAA, very interesting facts. Of the 11 folks I know that fly under the sport rules, 8 hold a private ticket, so I agree this is good information but could be a bit difficult to pin down the final % number. Once again this group brings good discussions forward.

The only thing I know is that a nice KF on the block at a decent price, tends to get sold in fairly short order. I would say register at whatever weight best serves YOUR mission and don't look back.

I have a Private Pilots license, and a basic med. However, if I ever feel I might loose my license, I will go back to flying on my drivers license and fly a Light Sport Aircraft.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I would say register at whatever weight best serves YOUR mission and don't look back.[/quote]

Thats one of the best answers I have ever heard.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Quote Originally Posted by TJay View Post
    I would say register at whatever weight best serves YOUR mission and don't look back.
    I agree with this. Has anyone else noticed the survey at the top of this thread has stayed about 50/50 the whole time? Enough said . . .
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

No skin off my nose one way or another. I just sold my avid in four days on barnstormers and realistically I think you could probably sell a 1500lb rated kitfox easily as well. my experience with selling my plane leads me to believe there are alot of guys in the SP range looking for light and inexpensive planes. I have never been ramp checked (yet) but would assume that FAA will not be dragging around scales to see if you are sitting at 1320 or 1420. Maybe checking your papers etc (which by the way if you are a sport pilot and flying a plane rated at 1500lb would get you in trouble). Do what you want and if you are already a PP than it is no big deal anyway until you get so old that you cannot retain your medical.
    Mark

There in lies the crux. I will be registering at 1320#. I have tens of thousands of dollars invested not to mention the time involved in building it. I have decades left to fly this thing. I do not wish to be the guy in 15-20 years who has to give up his flying because he wanted to fly their plane with an extra 200#. Maybe working in the healthcare industry has got me a bit jaded. It may not be that prevalent that people come down with ailments that ground them but I would rather keep the odds to a minimum for my own sanity. I have dreamed of doing this since I was 20 so it is damn important to me to be able to fly into my golden years.
    Eddie