Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 582 Bing Carb Float Bowl Strap Security?

Question Rotax 582 Bing Carb Float Bowl Strap Security?

582'ers.... I am new to the engine on my recently purchased Kitfox. I have a question regarding the Bing carbs that are on the machine.

I noticed during inspection of the float bowls that there wasn't any safety wire somehow holding the float bowl strap to ensure that is doesn't inadvertainly slip off. In addition I didn't really see an obvious way to make that happen.

Question:

1. Is there a safety wire that goes onto the float bowl strap?

2. Has anyone has an incident where this has come off mid-flight? I obviously would have disasterous results.

Default Re: Rotax 582 Bing Carb Float Bowl Strap Security?

I've flown behind a 2 stroke Rotax for years and I've never seen a bowl clip safety wired or heard of anyone having a problem with one coming off. It wouldn't hurt a thing if it makes you feel better. It's probably a better idea to safety wire the air filter, especially on pushers. I saw one come off a 503 on a Challenger and go through the prop. Good luck with your Rotax, James Thomas

ussually to get the bowl clips off you almost break a finger unless you use a screw driver to get it off ,..they are on pretty tight ,..I have safety wired air filters,and fuel filters, like James mentioned especially on pushers and aircraft that I was going to do aerobatics in.

Chase

Thanks All!.... I went ahead and safety wired them. Now I can sleep at night. :-)