Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizer Trim Slot Closeout

Default Stabilizer Trim Slot Closeout

I just finished what I think is a good method to closeout the stabilizer trim slot, to help keep cold air from blowing into the tail cone and then forward to the back of your neck. I used "Easy-Cut Strip Brush", part number 7900T1 from McMaster-Carr. Using Hysol, on the inside of the access panels, I glued a piece of the plastic strip brush on each side of the slot so the brush tips meet on the centerline of the slot. When installed, the stabilizer tube travels up and down the slot, easily moving the brushes out of the way, but still closing in behind. Tried it out today on a 3 hour flight and it works well; less drafty in the cockpit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Stabilizer Trim Slot Closeout

Very neat and a great idea

Hmmm. That’s on my list for sure.

Awesome that you provided the part number. Ive seen this type of application before and figured I was going to have to cannibalize some sort of broom. Thanks for sharing.
    Eddie

Jim , Pictures and part numbers , what more can we ask for . great idea thanks, Bruce N199CL

I was thinking of something just like this based on what you used to see around AT shift levers in automobile center consoles, but I wasn't sure where to get the brush material. Awesome
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Looks mighty fine Jim. I have had in mind to do something to close out those slots too, but I had not gotten to the point of needing to actually find/chose a material. Thanks for finding and providing a source.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I think the same stuff could also be used to close out the big openings at the leading edge of the elevator. I may do that next.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was also going to use it to close out the flapperon slot in the turtle deck.

I also thought about using it on the flaperon slots, but decided against it because the transparency of the turtle deck would show the Hysol glue mess thru to the outside. The simple 1/4" foam rubber closeouts stuck on with contact cement look much better and are simple to install.

The foam rubber also works OK on the stabilizer trim slots, but you have to make sure you use a fairly soft foam rubber because there is a lot of motion back there, and you don't want heavy pressure rubbing and wearing on the stabilizer tube as it moves up and down. That's why I thought the brush idea would be better, and it also looks kind of cool.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS