Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: horizonal stab/elevator rib stich

Default Re: horizonal stab/elevator rib stich

I found a couple in process pictures. There does appear to be some small holes at some of the rib stitches, but again, no issues with the trim tapes covering them. I am beyond pleased with the final results. I had monocoated many RC planes, but this was my first polyfiber work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I have to assume if you did stitch these ribs you first drill holes in the support braces that were glued to the ribs to keep them from warping. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    I have to assume if you did stitch these ribs you first drill holes in the support braces that were glued to the ribs to keep them from warping. Correct?
    That is correct, I identified the spacing and predrilled the support braces and ran the lacing through these holes. Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I rib stitched both but largely because of a Mod I made on the rudder. The top three ribs I used were made of quarter inch foam laminated on both sides with a layer of glass with sanded micro at the edges to add a smooth surface there. On the rudder, the lower two ribs were made from pairs of carbon fiber tubes fastened fore and aft with Hysol and attached together mid span with a short length of steel cable glued across the gap between the two tubes with Hysol. This was to see if changing the airfoil of these two ribs would serve as rudder trim. The rib lacing was largely to keep the fabric close to the rib surfaces as the airfoil changed. The vertical and horizontal stabilizers and elevator was laced as well for continuity.

Yes, the changing airfoil does serve as a means of trimming the rudder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    I rib stitched both but largely because of a Mod I made on the rudder. The top three ribs I used were made of quarter inch foam laminated on both sides with a layer of glass with sanded micro at the edges to add a smooth surface there. On the rudder, the lower two ribs were made from pairs of carbon fiber tubes fastened fore and aft with Hysol and attached together mid span with a short length of steel cable glued across the gap between the two tubes with Hysol. This was to see if changing the airfoil of these two ribs would serve as rudder trim. The rib lacing was largely to keep the fabric close to the rib surfaces as the airfoil changed. The vertical and horizontal stabilizers and elevator was laced as well for continuity.

More closeup pictures please?
    James T
    Valrico, FL

This is a very interesting concept of a trim for the rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post

That is so innovative, and well conceived, Lowell! As I've said before, you are a true "experimenter" and craftsman in the truest sense!

It looks like the 2 "cams" rotate & push against & the carbon fiber "ribs", warping them out on one side, or the other. Is that correct? Whatever is happening, it is a very cool idea!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Seeing the comments here, it looks like this may be feasible to do. I’ve fully shrunk the horizontal stab and put the first coat of Polly Brush on but I might give it a try even at this stage.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    That is so innovative, and well conceived, Lowell! As I've said before, you are a true "experimenter" and craftsman in the truest sense!
    There's a certain irony in wing warping being considered an experimental innovation 115 years after the Wright Brothers used it to control their flyer. I don't disagree that this is a very innovative way to trim the rudder, and it's twice as cool that it touches the tips of aviation's roots.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

The neat thing about Lowell's rudder trim is there is a complete lack of stuff on the outside which eliminates any unnecessary drag. Simply changes the crown on the rudder to provide a little lift to the side.

As Always, Lowell's creative engineering, use of materials and excellent craftsmanship serves as a good example for experimental aviation.

On a sidebar, I have a friend back here in "Minnesnowta" who flies an ancient Fairchild highwing with the upside down inline engine. When he went to recover the machine, he became aware of the fact that there was a small grommet hole in the middle of the rudder with a little screw inside. Puzzled about it for the longest time and ..... you guessed it!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN