Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF1 Wheel Removal

Default KF1 Wheel Removal

Ok, boys and girls. Stupid question time:

My newly acquired Kitfox 1 has a cap over the hub and I can't figure out how to take it off without damaging it (more). Any hints? Not sure if the wheels are split rim or one piece yet either and need to change the tires.

Thanks for your help!

Jimmy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: KF1 Wheel Removal

Jimmy,

Often wheels like this have a hubcap which has a flange on it on the backside - if that is the case - removing the hub bolts/nuts (can't quite tell which from the photo) and pulling the wheel off should solve it and the cap should come off through the back of the wheel. Just in case it is a split wheel - make sure there is no air in the tire (looks like there isn't)

Doesn't look like a traditional aircraft wheel - more like a steel ATV wheel or similar?????
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Looks like a standard Kitfox 8" wheel to me. You need to remove the disk brake disk to remove the wheel. Earlier Kitfox 1 had a disk that had 6 or 8 screws holding the disk to the inner part of the hub. Later Kitfoxes have a disk fastened with 3 allen head screws to lugs welded onto the wheel. The bearing cap is just pried off. Much like a bearing buddy cap on a trailer. Because the brake caliper on either style fits around both sides of the disk, it has to be unbolted from the hub or wheel depending on the style you have. JImChuk

Thanks guys. Great info. I'm an IA and I'm used to having maintenance manuals to work from. This is a whole new world for me.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

You bring up an interesting point with experimentals. Seldom is there a maintenance manual.

When I had my aircraft inspected, the DAR (who was a very accomplished person in his day job and with EAA) made the recommendation to me that for my own continued work with the plane; and, for anyone who eventually inherits it, two things are good to put together:

1) An equipment list

2) A maintenance document which I ended up making as a combination of the build manual and an additional maintenance procedures manual, particularly for those things that are not in the build manual.

I have to say the equipment list has paid for itself more than once in tracking down specific parts I have needed for a device on the plane. (please don't ask me how the position light lens got broken)

We do have excellent support from the Kitfox factory; however, there are things that end up on an experimental that aren't in the original book (if the book still exists), or can be real hard to find for certain models such as the early birds that predate the IV.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN