Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fun day checking out builds

Default Fun day checking out builds

So I finally found someone local who's a builder, and is actually working on a kitfox 7 right now.

I went to meet him and check out his shop on Monday. It was pretty exciting for me. I didn't take any pictures - totally forgot.

He's been building for many years and has done RVs (currently also repairing an RV6), Just Super Stol and several certified rebuilds and others. He currently is flying a Bushcaddy he built.

First he showed me around his home shop where he's been working on the kitfox. Wings are done and just need to be covered. He mentioned he added an additional round bar on the trailing edge between the large ribs and the provided metal trailing edge. Something about fabric? I wasn't exactly sure what he was talking about.

He said he had a few issues with the build, mostly that the manual was wrong in several measurements, but after contacting Kitfox everything was worked out. Nothing major in his view.

He did have problems with flapperons though. Twice they were delivered and the right was was bent.

He also mentioned upsizing the return line from the header tank for the 912is. I think to 3/8"? He said Rotax didn't like the smaller lines, but also that Kitfox said they have many of them running fine on the smaller ones. Anyone know anything about this?

He said he didn't like the standard header tank either as the hot vapor return from the engine was at the same level as the feeds and thus was not necessarily taking the "best" gas from the tank at that level? I assume because if it was feed from lower, the case is 100% liquid and no chance of sucking air maybe? My best guess.

He then took me to a nearby private strip where they have a paint booth. This is where the fuselage of the kitfox was ready to be painted. I must say, for my first time seeing it in person, it felt smaller than I expected. Shorter and the cabbin width less than expected. I wish I could have sat in it. He also said that he's got about 400 hours into it so far. So that leaves painting, dash, firewall forward and final assembly.

After than we ventured to a friends where the Superstol was located. I must say, I did not like the fit and finish of it. It just felt a bit "junky". Now, that might be the built itself. This particular superstol wasn't built by this guy, only helped a bit, and he had warned me the build wasn't up to his liking. (he wouldn't fly in it). The guy actually painted it with auto paint - and it looked like ****.

I must say it was a great day.

Default Re: Fun day checking out builds

I have an aftermarket fuel injection setup. I used all 3/8” lines (AN6 fittings). For the fuel return, I wish the header tank was larger but it seems to be working on the 912iS. I return my fuel to the low fuel sensor location at the top of the tank.

You really need to sit in the Kitfox to feel how roomy it actually is. Especially with bubble doors. It still is a small light plane but I think it is more comfortable than a 172 and waaay more room than a 172. Too bad you couldn’t get in it.

The highlander is good at what it does but I don’t think it is as refined as the Kitfox. I don’t like control cables either.

The tubes in the trailing edge are to stop the trailing edge from warping if you shrink the fabric too much on the wing. With the tubes in the trailing edge you can go as tight as you desire.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3