Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B out questions

Default ADS-B out questions

Hi guys,
    In doing some reading up on the ADS-B coming our way, I had some questions for those more in the know. I'm not flying yet, but soon, and I live just inside class D airspace. From what I've read I won't need to upgrade to fly from home. But if I stray far from home I'll need some new equipment? How much money we talking about to install this equipment? And will the alternator on my 582 be able to keep up with its power needs?

Default Re: ADS-B out questions

Lots of options. You will need to research and see if you want UAT or 1090ES. Do you currently have a transponder? If not cheapest option right now is the stratus ESG. However, this provides nothing for the in portion. Right now I would say you’re better off just flying the crap out of the plane and spending that money elsewhere. I’m holding out on adsb for my rv-6 as I got burned on the navworx for my other plane. More companies will have cheaper solutions.

First of all, do you really need it? Maybe if you don't need it near home, you should just get your plane flying and worry about it later.

AOPA has a lot of good information including this decision tree: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft...ads-b-selector

If you do decide to equip, options start at around $1400 if you already have a Mode-C transponder. More like $2500 if you don't.

Only you can figure out if you have enough juice. You need to do a power budget by writing down all the equipment and power draw. My recollection is the 582 lighting coil puts out about 165 Watts. The regulator / rectifier you're using robs some of this. The best power savings I did with mine is to replace incandescent nav lights with LED. Also, older strobe systems are power hungry and there are LED alternatives now.

Personally, I like being able to see traffic and get audible alerts from my iPad. I would equip regardless if it was required or not since the prices have come down.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Lots of options. You will need to research and see if you want UAT or 1090ES. Do you currently have a transponder? If not cheapest option right now is the stratus ESG. However, this provides nothing for the in portion. Right now I would say you’re better off just flying the crap out of the plane and spending that money elsewhere. I’m holding out on adsb for my rv-6 as I got burned on the navworx for my other plane. More companies will have cheaper solutions.
    You have an RV6 now? Cool!

Thanks guys. Lets just hope they don't decide to expand their class C airspace on me...

Take a look at the IFLY website They have several options available. I bought the SkyGuardTWX system. It has both the in and UAT out functions. Nice to have traffic and weather I often fly around the north side of DFW class B. Sure is nice to see traffic Lots more traffic on ADSB than you would ever see visually

I love my uavionix solution. 1300$, simple, light, in/out. I did a post on it 6 months ago or so.

Uavionics is up to $1499 but it still looks like a simple solution

https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

I have has a Garmin GDL-39 for ADS-B in for a couple of years now (about $500..00.) I recently added ADS-B out by purchasing the Dynon SV 261 mode S transponder and 2020 compliant GPS for my existing Advanced 5600 EFIS for $2600.00. All installed by me. So the complete ADS-B system was about $3300.00. Plus $130.00 to electronic shop for certification. Garmin unit is also about t$3300.00 with compliant internal GPS, but it must be installed by a certified shop for more dollars. Here in the puget sound area there is not much airspace where a legal flight will be possible after 2020 so for most operations a ADS-B out system will be a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I have has a Garmin GDL-39 for ADS-B in for a couple of years now (about $500..00.) I recently added ADS-B out by purchasing the Dynon SV 261 mode S transponder and 2020 compliant GPS for my existing Advanced 5600 EFIS for $2600.00. All installed by me. So the complete ADS-B system was about $3300.00. Plus $130.00 to electronic shop for certification. Garmin unit is also about t$3300.00 with compliant internal GPS, but it must be installed by a certified shop for more dollars. Here in the puget sound area there is not much airspace where a legal flight will be possible after 2020 so for most operations a ADS-B out system will be a necessity.
    Neville, garmin has a unit for $1800 for UAT out called the GDL82. Anyone can install the garmin Avionics including the gtx345 in an experimental. They try to force you to use a dealer when installing in certified aircraft. Not sure what garmin unit you are referencing for $3300, but I assume the gtx335.