Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mud Guard

Default Mud Guard

Greetings,

Is anyone operating successfully with a method to prevent slush and mud from coating your airplane? I have a tricycle gear with a currently splashed up belly and presume there are others that have thought about this. I know wheel pants are another option however I have had a few incidents in Cessnas where slush has frozen inside the wheel fairing.

Thanks,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: Mud Guard

We use rock guards on our planes where I work for backcountry flying. Everyone calls them mud guards, but their purpose is to keep rocks from damaging the belly, tail and pods. We operate Cessna 206s, Caravans and Quest Kodiaks with the rock guards. Even with them we need to reskin the horizontal stabilizers due to rock damage.

We get them from Aerotwin: http://www.aerotwin.com/products/mai...eflectors.html

They mount to the gear leg with the same bolts that holds the axles. The link has a picture that might help you to design them if you choose to do so. No doubt they would reduce the mud and splashing that gets on a Kitfox, but don't expect 100% blockage. The rubber piece on the back needs to clear the ground by 1/2 - 3/4" when the tail is touching (deep flare), otherwise they will cause rocks to fly when it scrapes the ground and will induce damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 01-26-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I could use set of them. Grounds been muddy
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I wrecked a wood prop this summer from mud flying up, and my wings weren't as muddy as yours. The urethane leading edge protection started to come loose. I could see it by the way the paint flaked off. Another wall hanger.... :-( JImChuk

LOL. What's the problem? That makes your KF look awesome. Kinda like seeing a Jeep after a fun day out on the terrain. And, if you weren't the one in the Jeep during the fun, your jealous, right? The prop part stinks.
    Eddie

At $1800 a set I could make several of them powdercoated or stainless. The scraper part of the setup. What is it made out of? How much clearance is needed for tire expansion? A lot of things could go wrong if these are not correct.

I don't really mind the mud. The nickel edged on my warp have done a great job protecting my prop. I'm kidding about the mud guards. I'm always trying to make my plane lighter. I don't think mud guards are in my future.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip