Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

I am planning on picking up my kit at the factory. Does the builders insurance cover the kit while it is being transported? If not, what type insurance do I need to get to make sure I am covered for the drive home?

Default Re: Insurance

Mine does, but I would definitely check with your insurer. I use Lima Bravo Aviation LLC, in Weirsdale Florida. Their # is 386-589-0322, email is lee@limabravoaviation.com. I am not sure if she can sell policies nation wide but if not she will point you in the right direction

Brett

I would check with the insurance company that insures your truck. What difference is it what is on the trailer you are pulling, if you are covered for one thing are you covered for something else? Untill it's built, it's not an airplane, just a pile of (expensive) parts. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I would check with the insurance company that insures your truck. What difference is it what is on the trailer you are pulling, if you are covered for one thing are you covered for something else? Untill it's built, it's not an airplane, just a pile of (expensive) parts. JImChuk
    I don't know about an auto policy, but my homeowners's policy excludes aircraft AND aircraft parts and components.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post

I am going to jumpseat to BOI and rent a Budget truck I think. Unless someone else has a better deal, that’s the plan.

No auto policy or homeowners policy that I know of in the U.S. will cover the kit, sub-structures, engines, props, avionics, or a completed aircraft. You most likely have no coverage if any of these items were to be stolen, lost in a fire or flood from your home or vehicle. Avionics, engines and props are not inexpensive items these day.
    Remember that homeowners and auto insurance policies are written to cover the risks commonly associated with the majority of homes and autos in the risk pool. Specific risks must be specifically underwritten.

Builders insurance would most likely be the insurance needed to cover relocation risks before it is considered an aircraft by the FAA. After the FAA blesses your project and declares it a legal aircraft, other insurance is then needed for movement or flight risks. You would even want to know what coverage is needed if you wanted ever to move your project under it's own power (taxiing, burning in the brakes or any self powered movement) before the FAA blesses it with an airworthiness certificate.

My advice as an ex-insurance agent is as Brett posted, call your insurance carrier, broker or agent and ask. Then read your policy when your project is bound and make sure you know what risks are covered and under what conditions. What a sad surprise it would be to find out your kit or completed project was not covered and something bad happened on the way home or on the trip to the airport for it's first flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the info. Who are the insurance companies that cover the project while in construction?

I used Falcon insurance.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I am using Falcon (EAA's choice) also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime