Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bubble door option

Default Re: Bubble door option

Thanks Gary. Are you building, or is your Kitfox flying?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Hi David
    I have a 90's Vixen and a couple of years ago converted to full view doors. I purchased material from aviation dept in Home Depot. With a lot of care and a good heat gun managed to bend the material in order to get a good fits all around the perimeter frame. Used double sided tape and self tapping screws for attachment.
    It is no wider than before but provides clear viewing and does not interfere with wing tank valves. I believe the Vixen is the same width as S7.
    The material is pretty cheap and worth a try if you have the time!
    Cheers Don
    Do you have any pictures of the result? Curious about doing something similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    Thanks Gary. Are you building, or is your Kitfox flying?

Steve
    Steve, I am still building, but I do have 98% of the plane up at the hangar as of last Friday. I am working on the lift and jury (thanks Lowell) strut fairings currently.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Hi David
    I have a 90's Vixen and a couple of years ago converted to full view doors. I purchased material from aviation dept in Home Depot. With a lot of care and a good heat gun managed to bend the material in order to get a good fits all around the perimeter frame. Used double sided tape and self tapping screws for attachment.
    It is no wider than before but provides clear viewing and does not interfere with wing tank valves. I believe the Vixen is the same width as S7.
    The material is pretty cheap and worth a try if you have the time!
    Cheers Don
    Thanks Don. I'm semi-retired so I definitely have the time. Might just give this a try.
    David
    SS7 Builder

HI guys
    I'll try and remember to take some pics. If the weather cooperates I'll be flying gain tomorrow.
    Don

Don and David,

If the Vixen doors are basically the same as the Super Sport, then the standard "flat" plastic panels (polycarbonate/Lexan) have a simple straight bend in the middle to make the panel follow the contour of the frame. That bend can be simply cold-bent in a sheet metal bending brake, or a press brake... no heat required. I'm sure that is how the factory bends them. Very easy if you have access to a brake. The stuff is very tough... you'd be hard-pressed to make it crack, even if you were trying.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. I have some spare material so I'll give that a try. Don't have a brake press but I'm good at adapting things !!
    David
    SS7 Builder

Here are a few pics of my Vixen doors. Been a couple of years now and seem to be fine. You can see a bit of fuel stain from the non ethenol marked premium fuel that I use . Probably from open door hitting the drain.
    Last pic shows my low budget access hatch to the rear cargo bag, Ideal for light items like sleeping bag, sun covers, dried food emergency rations,etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also made up these flapperon control wind stop pieces with some of the left over material. These pretty much seal the drafts in this area. Easy to install as well.
    That's about it for low budget mods.
    Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the photos Don. You've made some nice mods to your plane. Decided I'm going to have a go at making my own bubble door as you have. I also like that piano hinged side access door to the baggage area, and the split turtledeck, similar to what John Evens has done. Very useful mods.
    David
    SS7 Builder