Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antenna

Default Re: Antenna

That is the info I got from the avionics guys at AS&S. I didn't add anything. Crossing fingers.
    Eddie

I'm sure the guys at Kitfox have got a pretty good idea what they're doing

I haven't seen the Kitfox mounting plates/ground planes (call them what you will) but, just for interest, this is the type used in the Eurofox (A220).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you all remove the powder coating to get to bare metal when you mounted the antennas or did you rely on the mounting bolts to find ground?

John:: Did you make a tray to mount the gps antenna that is connected to the panel or use a clamp to one of the tubes?

I look at the photo section of the builds it seems most folks did not post much on the install of the avionics in their builds, they like to show the finished panel, I get that. I enjoy every part of the building process and as I look at where I prefer to mount items I find as I move along that perhaps that was not the best place as it now does/may interfere with something else down the road. Inventing the wheel is great but there are times I do not like doing things twice. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Hi Jim,

That is not my aircraft but a photograph of one when I visited the factory. However, I can confirm that the aerial body itself and the nut that secures it to the ground plane were definitely free of any paint or powder coating. In other words, the aerial was in direct contact with the mail to ensure a good ground.

Hey Jim. I think if everyone were to do their panels again they would mount things differently.

Basically just take everything you want and try to find what makes the most sense for you. You’ll add a couple things later that you forgot. I think most people don’t post where they put everything cause in their mind it’s not a perfect solution.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I have a G3X too. I put my antennas as follows:
    -COM and ELT antennas on the top aft fuselage (my fuselage came with 2 mounting plates)
    -ADSB in and transponder/ADSB out on the belly (3' apart)
    -The small G3X GPS antenna (GA-26?) is under the glare sheild of the instrument panel. It plugs in the back of the GDU46 screen
    -The GPS WAAS antenna for ADSB (GA-35) is under the turtle deck beneath the fabric of the baggage sack. I put a GPS-20 unit in that goes to my GTX-23ES transponder.

I put two 6" round aluminum ground planes with my transponder & ADSB in antennas (like the rectangle one already pictured). I grounded the disc to airframe ground and made sure the antenna ground made good contact with it too.

I kind of wish I had put the COM antenna inside the vertical stab. like other people have and my ELT antenna inside the tail. I hadn't found these suggestions until I had the fabric installed.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I have a G3X too. I put my antennas as follows:
    -COM and ELT antennas on the top aft fuselage (my fuselage came with 2 mounting plates)
    -ADSB in and transponder/ADSB out on the belly (3' apart)
    -The small G3X GPS antenna (GA-26?) is under the glare sheild of the instrument panel. It plugs in the back of the GDU46 screen
    -The GPS WAAS antenna for ADSB (GA-35) is under the turtle deck beneath the fabric of the baggage sack. I put a GPS-20 unit in that goes to my GTX-23ES transponder.

I put two 6" round aluminum ground planes with my transponder & ADSB in antennas (like the rectangle one already pictured). I grounded the disc to airframe ground and made sure the antenna ground made good contact with it too.

I kind of wish I had put the COM antenna inside the vertical stab. like other people have and my ELT antenna inside the tail. I hadn't found these suggestions until I had the fabric installed.
    Is there a thread on how to put your com antenna in the stab? That sounds like a good idea. I am just trying to get as many ideas as I can before I start building. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post

John:: Did you make a tray to mount the gps antenna that is connected to the panel or use a clamp to one of the tubes...
    Jim,
    My “John’s Build”, post #192 shows the GPS mount. It’s just a simple mounting bracket attached to the tubing with 2 Adel clamps... there is no dedicated ground plane, nor is it needed. The antenna is mounted with Velcro.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I put the comm and elt antennas in the vertical stab, making sure the antennas did not touch metal. They work very well. Transponder and ADSB antennas are on the bottom outside, under the baggage compartment.

My project also has the comm antenna mounted in the vertical stabilizer.
    It worked great in my model 4 for 13 years so figured I’d give it another go.
    When I install the elt antenna, it will go inside fuselage next to the baggage compartment. Only external antenna is the blade transponder/adsb out antenna.
    I installed the Apparreo transponder.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear