Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gap Seal and cowl

Default Gap Seal and cowl

I just installed a gap seal that I thought others might be interested in. I used the 2" tape below from Aircraft Spruce. Basically what you do is over lap two pieces of the tape by 7/8". Sticky side to sticky side. The tape comes with a backing material that you can pull off then offset by 7/8". Take two pieces of the length that you need and put the sticky sides together. The result is a piece of tape with one side sticky up and the other side with the sticky down. Pull the backing off one side and stick it to the top of the Elevator and the other end down between the Horizontal stabilizer. Next pull the backing tape off the other side of the tape and stick it to the bottom of the Horizontal Stabilizer. I used a piece of masking tape on the Elevator to get it lined up straight.

Lenghts for the SS7 are 4.25", 15", 3", 18.5". You will need these lengths for each side. Hope this is easy to understand.

I installed this because I liked what I saw on Dougs (Floog) plane. We got the idea from a flying buddy. Should help elevator effectiveness. I flight tested tonight and could feel a difference.

3M 8674 TAPE CLR 2"X12 YD L/E
    Part #: 09-01643

Another great Idea Doug came up with for the Rotax oil cooler is an adjustable flap(guillitine). It gives you the ability to adjust the air flow through the Oil Cooler. It easily can increase the oil temp by 20 to 30 degrees. My oil temp used to run 135 deg F at altitude or in the winter. With the oil flap I can keep the temp up toward 180 deg F. An added benefit is the heater pumps warmer air! See pictures below. I used Teflon tape to help the guillitine slide up and down. Attached to the guillitine is a throttle cable run to the Panel.

I'll post pictures below.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Default Re: Gap Seal and cowl

This picture is not very clear, but may help give you an idea.
    gap seal.jpg
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Nice idea; I think I will add that to my list of improvements to make after I get it flying.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

My take on Scott and Doug's oil cooler guillotine. Install on the plane tomorrow. 50333879_10155677646141415_209687965612376064_n.jpg
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
    I just installed a gap seal that I thought others might be interested in. I used the 2" tape below from Aircraft Spruce.
    3M 8674 TAPE CLR 2"X12 YD L/E
    Part #: 09-01643
    I did the exact same thing using the thick 2" Gorilla Tape which is available at WalMart or any big box store or hardware. One roll was under $8 and will last for several applications. The 3M stuff is $2 per foot at ACS.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Phil, I also went with the ACS 3M leading edge tape mainly because it is UV resistant and should last for many, many years. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Gorilla tape or some others out there have the combination of toughness, flexibility, AND UV resistance. I suppose the cheap stuff could be replaced often for little cost, but its not the easiest thing to install neatly and cleaning off the old tape may be a problem.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Look at that! . . . it's UV resistant, doesn't yellow and it works underwater. I don't think I will try the underwater part.

I'm not knocking the 3M product, we use it on the certified planes in our fleet. It's a great product.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Greg, that's good info about the Gorilla Tape I was unaware of.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS