Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

Default Re: Garmin Panel - trying to figure out all the details

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    I just wired mine directly to the master switch.
    Well the G3X will be wired directly to the Master switch because it has the engine gauges. As far as the Standby battery goes, I'm assuming if you turn off the master, the panel will go off too. The logic with the way Aerotronics recommended wiring it is the Standby circuit is totally separate. It goes to the standby power input of the G3X meaning if anything goes wrong with the master circuit, it will still function, thus a separate switch. This eliminates the single point of failure of the master switch and the wiring from the master to the G3X. The way you wired it directly is probably more practical especially for a VFR panel. Plus, I think that means your standby power could power anything on the bus, not just the G3X. Does that sound right? Was that your reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by BillCuster View Post
    Well the G3X will be wired directly to the Master switch because it has the engine gauges. As far as the Standby battery goes, I'm assuming if you turn off the master, the panel will go off too. The logic with the way Aerotronics recommended wiring it is the Standby circuit is totally separate. It goes to the standby power input of the G3X meaning if anything goes wrong with the master circuit, it will still function, thus a separate switch. This eliminates the single point of failure of the master switch and the wiring from the master to the G3X. The way you wired it directly is probably more practical especially for a VFR panel. Plus, I think that means your standby power could power anything on the bus, not just the G3X. Does that sound right? Was that your reasoning?

Yes, Master off would turn off everything regardless (except for the G5 which has it's own backup battery). I have the TCW wired to several of my Garmin items including the G3X. It will automatically switch over if voltage is below 11V. If anything goes wrong with alternators and/or main battery and it eventually falls below 11V the TCW kicks in. I don't have to do anything. (like remember to flip a switch when something happens and/or as part of startup procedure). I'll see my warnings on the G3X that something has gone wrong, won't have any system restart and just be able to assess the situation. Which is likely going to be land asap. I see no need to worry about a situation where I need to attempt to turn off the master. I can reset/restart all my devices from the G3X and if it is an alternator issue resulting in low voltage as the battery drops - I'm covered. And like I said, if everything fails including the TCW, my G5 has it's own battery backup (and has built in GPS to allow total stand alone function). The TCW is wired to specific devices only, it will not power other devices.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Saving this thread for future reference.

How blasphemous is it to consider the panel and harness "pre-fabbed" from the KF factory? I've heard wiring is one of the most rewarding parts of the process and not overly difficult. For a noobie though, it seems daunting. As a previous post mentioned, "peace of mind" is worth something. So, has anyone ordered the panel and harness from the factory?
    Student Pilot
    Here to absorb everything about building a KF.

Quote Originally Posted by DMMeix View Post
    How blasphemous is it to consider the panel and harness "pre-fabbed" from the KF factory?
    Not at all, if you're happy to exchange that money for time and convenience.

Like any other part of airplane building, doing the wiring yourself just requires researching the best techniques, buying the right tools, working carefully and having someone knowledgeable look over your work. If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to document your electrical system with drawings for future service and upgrades.

Here's a recent video segment by a Kitfox builder who's very happy with the Kitfox pre-fab panel.

https://youtu.be/UOPfHS7JBxQ?t=2028
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

They offer that prefab panel for a reason. I'm sure there's demand.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

FYI, I just posted Trent Palmer’s newest video and near the end of it he talks with Nikk who helped develop the Garmin pre-fab wiring harness and builds them for Kitfox Aircraft. Sounds like a two week process for Nikk to turn out a harness.

https://youtu.be/jZB1JZLhXoc

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    FYI, I just posted Trent Palmer’s newest video and near the end of it he talks with Nikk who helped develop the Garmin pre-fab wiring harness and builds them for Kitfox Aircraft. Sounds like a two week process for Nikk to turn out a harness.

https://youtu.be/jZB1JZLhXoc
    Nikk's harness got rave reviews from 7KiloFox on a recent video too.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Not at all, if you're happy to exchange that money for time and convenience.
    I think the price for the panel is around $25-29k depending on number of screens and autopilot options. I haven't been able to find a clear answer, so I'm curious what a comparable DIY panel and harness would end up costing?
    Student Pilot
    Here to absorb everything about building a KF.

It will cost you about 60% to do it yourself if my bills add up right.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw