Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 670 Rotax

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 670 Rotax

WOW ! OK pheww...anyway I will refer you to this thread where "it was posted" "and I was told" that Rick documented where new engines (582's) were being shipped from the factory with 30W motor oil in the RV lube system. It was said Rick now uses 30W in ALL his 582-670 rebuilds ? I was just wondering if that was in-fact the case with your freshly rebuilt 670.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7106

TY2068,
    It is interesting that Rotax would use a different oil in the RV shaft circuit for the aircraft engines. My 582 ran 700 hours. I bought it with 216 Hours and only replenished or refilled with 2 stroke oil. Injected Skidoo snowmobiles use the same tank for injection oil and RV shaft oil. I converted one of my 670 snowmobiles to premixing and had to add the RV shaft oil reservoir. And yes I filled it with 2 stroke oil.
    Dave

Company's like Amsoil Make actual rotary valve oil I personnel would just stick with something like that. If it holds together that should make a fun engine/Plane combo
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

The 670 I received had its oil tubes filled with Amsoil and plugged together to maintain priming. To some fools, the amber Amsoil looks like 30 weight, and that can launch a thousand baloney rumors, now resurfaced by Mr Anonymous, TY2068.

Rotax Rick and others suffer at the hands of people who "were told" and who have no idea what they are saying, but who can slur the reputation of folks with anonymous ease.

Rick makes clear in all his communications that top end 2 stroke oil is a must on his engines. I can verify that.

I recently purchased a rotax ricks 670 engine. It is wrote in marker on the rotary valve reservoir cap "30w oil." I was under the impression that this should be 2 stroke oil also. I called rotax rick and asked about it. He said that it is indeed 30w oil and that his thinking is that 2 stroke oil is not as good of a lubricant for that valve as 30w. He said you can run either or but if you noticed that it started to use oil out of the reservoir that you should run 2 stroke because it is now burning that oil. He also commented that it is really not necessary to run 30w either as he has not seen any ill effects from running 2 stroke. That is what I was told from Rotax Rick himself.

Well Mr. Nlappos what's the response to that little tidbit of information.... HaaHaa ! I have no idea why you on the defensive about this. My only "angle" was to get to the bottom of this Rotary oil mystery and at the same time give you a friendly-helpful heads up on what "could" be going on with your engine. You could at some point be unknowingly adding 2-cycle mix oil to what is actually 30W motor oil in your Rotary system tank. "They" say mixing different type oils is not a good thing. You certainly don't want to have the Rotary Valve-gear system fail right ?

I don't endorse or condem Ricks Rebuilds. I've had no personal dealings with him whatsoever. Yeah I've read some bad press but also lots of praise and good things.

BTW...I very briefly met a guy with a Rick 670 rebuild and the engine was said to have run perfect so far. I did not have the opportunity to discuss anything with him as he was leaving when we briefly talked.

Thanks so very much Bluebird19kf for the information.
    Last edited by TY2068; 02-19-2018 at 10:14 AM.

My mom used to have a repeat a saying that went like this: Be careful of the words you say, to keep them soft and sweet. You never know, from day to day, which ones you'll have to eat. Good advice I think. Even if we disagree, we don't need to be disagreeable. JImChuk