Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder cables

Default Rudder cables

I am going to install the rudder cables tomorrow, any advice on what to look out for and perhaps any tips on the install. Although I have built a few kits before they all had the cables pre-made so this is a first for me.

Default Re: Rudder cables

Be sure your brake pedal levers are put into the correct location per the manual. pull the cables firmly into place. fix them at that spot and stand up, sit down, move to the other side etc etc. What looked good to me sitting on the floor, wasn't. A tube on the air frame was perfectly in line so that it concealed the fact that the cable was crossing the other. Had I stood up and viewed it from a different angle I would not have messed up. That was the second cable I was installing. I have sort of built one Kit but have built three cables.
    The first time my stupid A.. just put a cable down on the floor and walked away for a second and when I picked it up again it happened to be the wrong one and I swagged a left pedal to the right. Thankfully cable is inexpensive.
    Eddie

sorry, meant Rudder pedal not brake

I should have said that these are the adjustable rudder pedal setup. It looks like I need to set/lock together all 4 rudder pedals together with a bar before this even gets started. I understand your thoughts on the routing of the cables, it is a bit confusing, I hope tomorrow I will understand the lay out.
    Thanks for the response.

Hey Jim. I just did this a few weeks ago. You don’t need to lock the pedals together. What you need to do is shim the pedal so it’s not resting on the firewall, turn the rudder to full deflection corresponding to that rudder and swage. Then remove the cable from the rudder and do the same thing the other direction on the other side. Reattach the first cable and viola.

It’s explained this way in the manual
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thank's guys,

The job is completed and happy with the results of the first attempt of keeping the cables tight and the swages went without a problem. I kind of like this job even if it did take most of the day to accomplished. I must have checked it 6-7 times before crimping/swaging. At one point I some how got a cable twisted but all was well once I removed the cable from the adjustable pedals and just untwisted the cable, seems I had turned it 1-1/2 revolutions while getting ready to crimp/swage it.

I posted some photos of the cables tonight in my album.