Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: where can I buy a muffler for KF2?

Default where can I buy a muffler for KF2?

Where can I buy a muffler for a KF2 with a 582UL Rotax???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zadwit; 01-08-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: add photo

Default Re: where can I buy a muffler for KF2?

I happened upon a craigslist ad that says it's an exhaust for a rotax 447, 503, 582. I am not the seller or know anything else about it. It looks like it is in a city outside Chicago.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/s...450173738.html

I think the Kitfox mufflers were modified at the factory so they would fit inside the mount and cowl. I believe the cone is shortened. Therefore a standard Rotax muffler may not fit. The one in the craigslist definatly won't fit, as it's a different style. I do have one that had about 40 hrs on it, it was in a Kitfox 3. Not sure if I want to part with it or not though. Also, I can't get near it for a couple of months. What is the matter with your's? JImChuk

A 503 has a different tuned length to a 582.The length is critical to proper tuning .
    Use a 582 muffler with the 180 degree bend and cut/rotate to suit while keeping the length standard.steel needs to be added to do this,the original mufflers didn't do this and performance was compromised.
    Pay special attention to cleaning out any cutting swarf and grinding debris as these WILL back flow into your engine

I have one. Might throw that towards the gear trade thing we talked about.

Here is some other info I found on the KF mufflers....
    As far as I know, the Y, elbow, and muffler were all Rotax
    parts modified by Skystar. The Y appears to have been shortened, the
    elbow shortened and tightened, and the muffler was a 180 degree unit
    that was cut and welded to turn double 90 at right angles plus the
    outlet was replaced with an elbow and extension to clear the bottom.
    Ask John McBean at KitfoxLLC, but I'll bet you'll have to
    have one fabricated. Dave's already given you some guidelines, but
    watch the 660mm from exhaust flange to muffler box. (Look at the 582
    installation manual on line.)
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    .(2)Well the Y pipe is what was cut I think at Skystar as well as the 90 Elbow but I added mine to the elbow. Your elbow will be near the cowl and might burn a hole in it but a air outlet could be added there or just a bump. The muffler will not longer be straight below the engine but on a little angle. I am sure there is a way to alter more but I have not spent the time on it yet.

Basically I just added 1 1/2 inches to the header directly onto the elbow on the top of it. I could have added to the y pipe but it seemed easier to do it this way.

Just out for a 1 hour flight with a friend , I have on the IVO medium right now and it worked well about 4 mph faster that without the exhaust mod.
    Now all we need to do it put a different pipe on it and see another 5 or 10 hp

I have a complete exhaust for a Earthstar gull 2000 with 503 pusher type exhaust like on the Challenger. Sent it out and had it all ceramic coated and polished but it does me no good on the KITFOX2....