Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stop your ignition from turning?

Default Stop your ignition from turning?

When I cut my panel, I forgot to leave the tongue that stops the ignition from turning when you crank the key. Anyone have any tips for installing this thing so it doesn’t rotate when I try to start the plane?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Stop your ignition from turning?

That’s no big deal, I always drilled the hole the size of the switch and snugged it up good with pliers while holding the switch in the proper position with my free hand. Just be sure not to let the pliers slip and scar up the locking nut. I do the same on circuit breakers also. Four builds so far and no problems

I used a keyed on/off for the master (Round hole worked fine), toggles for the ignitions and a push button for start.

There have been too many stories from LEAF of the L-R-Both-Start switches causing damage to ignition modules. Toggle ignition switches also allow for rotating the engine using the starter without starting.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I used a keyed on/off for the master (Round hole worked fine), toggles for the ignitions and a push button for start.

There have been too many stories from LEAF of the L-R-Both-Start switches causing damage to ignition modules. Toggle ignition switches also allow for rotating the engine using the starter without starting.
    Yeah perhaps I should have gone this way...but panels cut. I’ll see how it goes.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

How would a couple stripes of hysol work on the back side of the panel?
    Apply like torque marker paint.

I just tightened the nut on a non-keyed hole and its been fine for 4.5 years.

IMHO those stories about the ACS multi-position switch causing failures are MUCH overblown. Just install everything right and make sure you install the called for capacitor AND the called for diodes on the master relay and the start relay. I have not had any trouble and the factory SLSA's have been doing this for years without trouble, and as far as I know are still doing it. Now if you want the flexibility of turning the engine without ignition on (which I have never once found the need to do so) then use the toggle switches.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Turning the engine on the starter without ignition is something that should be done on every oil change to confirm oil pressure prior to the first start. Pulling through by hand to burp does not confirm there isn't an air bubble in the system.

Brett at LEAF, a friend of mine, told me they have replaced dozens of these switches at their maintenance facility on certified, S-LSA as well as experimental planes due to failures. That was good enough for me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos