Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bubble doors

Default Re: Bubble doors

On long flights I switch hands.

The cross bar is mid rib not at the shoulder so the bubble doors do give more shoulder room. The door opening height is more limited by the gas struts when closed than the door skins so the open door height is the same. It doesn’t limit the ability to fly with the doors open.
    Last edited by Esser; 01-10-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

They provide a bunch or elbow room even if you don't put your elbow on the cross bar (which is too high for me anyway).

I have no problem with opening angle even with the bubbles. You need to duck under the frame anyway.

I've rum mine open up to about 100 mph with out issue. They can still be removed if you want for open air flight, but watch out for the turtle-deck getting damaged.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks gents - your prompt responses are appreciated.

Darrel

I have bubble doors on my Model IV Kitfox, and like the others here absolutely love them. They not only offer more cabin width, which makes the Model IV much more comfortable for two people, but also offer really great visibility. My Kitfox is a floatplane, so it is really handy to be able to see straight down when you need to. Every passenger that has flown with me has complimented the great visibility of the clear glass bubble doors.

I took the center bars out of my doors by sawing them off and throwing away. I would definitely do that again as the Kitfoxes I've been in with bubble doors but have the bars still there have a "feel" of being much less wide, and somewhat reduced visibility. The bubble doors without the bars really make the cabin feel huge and offer unsurpassed visibility.

The bubble doors do require the short wing tank fuel drain so when the door is open it doesn't hit the drain and damage the glass, or cause the drain to open and spill fuel all over.

It is also advisable to install new door struts as the door is heavier than the standard door so it needs a bit more strength to keep the door up.

The only downside of the bubble doors is a slight weight increase. But in my opinion it is still worth it for all the gains.