Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Autogas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Autogas

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    For information: the rotax 912iS operators manual stipulates 92 oct. minimum.
    There are 4 listed airports in Wa. that offer MOGAS (92 oct no ethanol). The fuel tanks used in the SS7 are made from material which is resistant to ethanol.
    I believe (????) they can be identified by having serial numbers etched into the inboard face. The fuel at my home airport (KOKH) has mogas however, the supplier also has the same fuel available at two of their auto fuel stations in the area which carry all three grades of no ehtanol.

I thought I had seen somewhere that the fiberglass fuel tanks were susceptible to degradation due to ethanol and that is why it should be avoided. (Kitfox, not Rotax). Rotax seems to be concerned about ethanol because it can off gas and change the AKI or can come out of solution due to water in the fuel, which also can change the AKI. Both Kitfox and Rotax are concerned about the stability of auto gas that sits for even short periods of time. This is where 100LL shines. It is very stable over time and far less likely to varnish the carb bowl...

Does anyone have documentation regarding the use of ethanol auto gas on the Kitfox being recommended/not recommended.

Here is a link to part 1 of Rotax stuff. There is some discussion about fuel 100LL in there somewhere. https://youtu.be/DFfxHbaU_Bs
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 01-06-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added video link