Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bubble doors

Default Re: bubble doors

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    LOL, if your trimming acrylic on the door then your much closer to that step than you think. Sometimes steps seem distant but before you know it a couple hours later your finished with the part. Those are the times that you realize the build process is gratifying from start to finish. Kitplane magazine had an article once that reminds you to not go into the shop saying "Im building an airplane". When you continuously come out without an airplane youll become discouraged. I live the process of building parts/assy's etc. I am frequently pleased with a days work.
    Eddie
    Man, how true that is... wise words, Eddie.

Jim, for what it’s worth I wouldn’t use a bandsaw to cut those acrylic doors. I know some have had good results, but IMHO it’s just too easy to crack it. My suggestion would be to use a small abrasive cut-off wheel and make several passes - don’t try to cut too deep in one shot. Then grind/sand to the line. Polycarbonate (Lexan) is a whole different animal... you can cut the heck out of it with a bandsaw if you want to.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yes I would avoid anything with teeth as it pulls. Like I said previously. On the windshield and the bubble doors I used a 6” angle grinder with excellent results.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I like using diamond Dremel disks to saw the plastic. It's very safe. Make sure you use zero rake angle drill bits specifically designed for cutting plastic.

Take your time. Work the doors into shape. When done cutting, sand and polish all the edges, as this is supposed to deter cracks. A Dremel makes very short work of it.

I'd avoid any sharp corners, or any other design that might lead to a stress concentration.

Make sure the doors have room to thermally expand and contract, especially if attached to a steel frame. Likewise make all bolt holes oversize.

And as said, don't get even close with Loktite. My own expensive lesson. (The guys at LP Aero took pity on me and sold me the replacement at cost. Very nice.)
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

I would like to thank all of you for your information on cutting the acrylic doors. After taking in all this great info I decided to call LP Plastics and talk to them. Here is what they told me. This info is from their main guy on the floor who works with the acrylic every day. LP cuts their door two ways, one is with a router but their main cutting tools are bandsaws. After a discussion with this fellow, I cut my doors with a bandsaw but not a wood blade bandsaw. I have two bandsaws in my shop, one for cutting wood and the other for just cutting metal with fine blades. I used the metal bandsaw with a new blade with 24 teeth per inch, 1/2 inch wide and .025 thick. On the advice of this fellow, I followed his instructions to go slow with the cuts, keep the acrylic as tight to the table top as possible and keep air blowing at the blade directly on the cut to keep the area clean from all cuttings. I had a helper to keep the angle as flat as possible, a bit difficult with the bubble in the door but in the end, it all worked well. I made the 6 angle cuts starting with the top to set the top edge centered with the hinge line. Once this was accomplished we clamped the door in place, used blue masking tape to mark the door angles and made the cuts. I had to go back a couple times on each door and make a few more cuts as I was afraid of taking too much off at one time. This worked out for me. I will post a few photos tomorrow.

I'm really glad it worked out well for you, Jim. My advice was based on my unfortunate experience of ruining a very expensive canopy about 30 years ago with a bandsaw... and yes, it was a nice metal cutting saw with a fine-toothed blade. The LP guys know what they're doing and I would've probably followed their recommendations also.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thank you, John

I have cut several Lexan pieces over the years and in 2015 I cut an acrylic windshield for my L-16A project that also came from LP Plastics. I really worried about cutting it due to the size and handling it. I only made a couple small cuts on it and finished to fit with a Dremel sanding wheel. As with anything aviation, we make the best decisions with the info we have and from those who have gone before us. This site in my humble opinion is one of the better sites for builders.
    Saying this the cut could have gone south and my outcome not so good, luck is with all of us from time to time.

I used a Dremel tool w/cutoff wheel, and then used a belt sander to take it down to the final line. Then of course fine hand sanding. The belt sander removed material fast and kept the line straight.

Other than using proper drill bits, cutting tools (above all avoid reciprocating saws), etc. I believe the next most important thing to avoid cracking is super careful handling when installing and trial fitting on and off (I am speaking here mostly about the windscreen). Putting stress on that bent area between windshield and skylight is a sure way to cause a crack. Also, excessive pushing to get it to fit is a no-no. A method I used to visibly insure no stresses when handling was to put a long piece of masking tape diagonally from the extreme rear corner of the skylight to the extreme lower corner of the windshield- do this on both sides when the plexiglass is in a totally relaxed position under no stress. Then when you handle it just make sure the tape stays taught but doesn't break or pull off. Use two people, watching the tape on both sides, to lift it on and off the airframe.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I think it really really helps if you don’t trim for the front spar until it’s in position as well. I got mine in place with no issues. Months later I cracked it being dumb. I repaired it but I still feel stoopid
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3