Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some Kitfox Questions

Default Re: Some Kitfox Questions

Esser

Thank you for the clarification.

I was not aware that there was a difference in the gear. Is it still Grove gear or something different? I imagine I will need to specify 1550 when I order. Didn’t notice that on the order form and it was not mentioned when I was at the fly-in last summer.

Joe

Maybe they don’t have different gear anymore. It was still Grove gear but on my 2012 order sheet you had to order the HD gear
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    If you are a private pilot go with the 1550. There is no real benefit to handicap your machine to only 1320 if you don’t need it. Plus now you can have an in flight adjustable or constant speed prop too. If you build you can do all the repair work and inspections.

The LSA has lighter duty gear. That’s the only physical difference.

Correct me if my understanding of the rules is incorrect. Some have gone to a Sport Pilot ticket to enjoy less restrictive medical requirements. If Mr. Private Pilot registers @ 1550, then 'drops down' to Sport Pilot at a later date, he is no longer qualified to pilot that aircraft, correct?

Also, would a given KF have a better re-sale value at 1320 or, 1550? I won't pretend to know. Seems the 1320 would have a broader market but the 1550 would have fewer units to compete against.

I’m not in the states but I thought you guys passed the no medical thing last year.

Either way try to find a 1550 Kitfox SS7 that is for sale for longer than a week. I don’t think you have to worry about resale.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

With the new Basic Med rule I don't think resale at 1320 or 1550 matters nearly as much anymore. But yes, if you drop down from private to Sport pilot you must fly a Light Sport aircraft to be legal.

Kitfox used to offer the Grove Gear in either the standard or heavy duty (1550) option. I ordered the 1550 gear, as most folks did, even though I was going to register as Light Sport. I think now they have standardized on the 1550 gear, so it is no longer an option. If I am wrong on this, someone will correct me.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey Jim
    I’m a little confused on this point. Maybe you can straighten me out.
    What is the advantage of having a Light Sport aircraft? Does it have to do with your rating? I am getting my private pilot so would it be best to get my future build rated at 1550?
    Is there a difference in the way the kit is built? And last will I be able to perform repairs and annual inspections.
    Thanks
    Joe G[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a shot. The advantage of having a light sport qualified aircraft would be you can fly it if you are a sport pilot or if you sell it to a sport pilot he can fly it. If you don't intend to ever fly as a SP, then it probably doesn't matter. If you were going to keep it light sport elegible, you would probably try to keep it as light as possible so you would have a larger useable load. Kits could be built the same what ever your gross weight was going to be. As far as performing repair, maintenance, or alterations on an experimental amateur built aircraft, any one can legally do them. You can only do the annual conditional inspection if you are the registered builder and have been issued a repairman's certificate for that airplane by the FAA. Otherwise an AnP can do the inspection and he doesn't need to be an IA either. JImChuk

[/quote] From my internet Scroungings:
    EAB: You are the builder. You will be the only person eligible for the repairman certificate. No class requirement for repairman certificate. Minimum 40 hour phase I. May make any mods you like. Mods that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters make the aircraft ineligible for sport pilots.

ELSA: KF is the builder. You and any subsequent owner may take 16 hr class for repairman certificate. Minimum 5 hour phase I. Must build exactly per plans. Modifications after certifications as long as the mods don't take the aircraft out of LSA parameters. Mods that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters make the airworthiness certificate void.[/QUOTE]

Actually, S-LSA; KF is the builder and it has to be build to the exact configuration approved under the license approval obtained from the FAA. NO subsequent modifications (even radio substitutions) can be made to the airplane without manufacturers pre-approval.

E-LSA; YOU build the airplane to S-LSA standards. Subsequently to FAA licensing, you can make changes to the airplane.
    Mike "Nuke" Rhodes
    Built: Long-EZ 1985; Van's RV-9A 2010
    Restored: CJ-6A 1994