Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Kitfox Questions

Default Some Kitfox Questions

NOTE: When speaking of a Kitfox, I am referring to a new Kitfox S7.

I feel I would like a plane that can Morph from Trike, to Tail, to floats. The only 2 planes I know of that can do that are the Kitfox, and the Glasair Sportsman. They both have folding wings too which is a huge win as well.

I will admit the thought of building my own airplane is both over whelming and terrifying to me.

1.Where is the happy medium on investment with the Kitfox? It seems to me the might as well clause would take over real quick the closer you approach 70K. In other words, I may be better suited to buy a used C-182 or the like for the money. And no, it would not be a float plane, Tail Dragger, or be able to fold its wings. It would have stable depreciation, Be IFR equipped, and haul 3-4 people though?

2.Can the Kitfox be turned into a realistic float plane that would haul 2-200+lb guys up fishing, or is that just fantasy?

3.Suggestion for engine package for eventual float flying (if feasible?)

4.What would be the best bang for the buck as far as a flight panel goes? Would a Dynon Skyview system be worth it in this plane, or should one just stick the basic VFR flight instruments for a plane like this? Note: I just went to visit Dynon today in Woodinville, WA. Nice stuff there.

5. How difficult is fabric covering an airplane? I was looking on the KF site, and the directions look vague at best.

6. What is the general opinion on building with a Non standard Power plant such as a Viking Engine?

7. Aside from the Kit, Engine, and avionics is there any other huge expenses that will raise eyebrows from the wife?

8. For those that have built, please name 1-2 things that caught you off guard/ by surprise?

9. For those that have built, would you endeavor to do it again?

Thank you for taking to the time to read!

Default Re: Some Kitfox Questions

HI Flienlow,

I will have a go at responding to your questions.

First, good for you for thinking aircraft ownership through. It is a big step and I think the type of Q's you are asking are a good start - but my advice is not to rush it. Without wanting to sound patronising, I think your Q's indicate that you are in the early stages of exploring your possible aircraft ownership options - particularly those options in the experimental and LSA categories. To be considering the Kitfox SS7, Glassair Sportsman and the likes of C182 indicates to me that you need spend some time clarifying 2 important issues: Your mission and your budget. No one aircraft will do it all.

I will make the following comments in response to your Qs in the hope of helping your decision making process:

Q1: Happy medium? I think the majority of KF owners/builders look at their investment as a long term investment in providing them with affordable, highly capable and fun and safe flying. I agree that spending $70k on a C182 would provide you with 'stable depreciation'! You will find that most Kitfox SS7 aircraft are tightly held for a good reason - they are a very capable aircraft and affordable to run. Many of us have owned and operated Cessnas, Pipers, Mooneys and Beechcraft but have chosen to leave behind that type of aircraft and the flying they provide.

Q2: Others will testify on this one.

Q3: See Q2 response.

Q4: Keep it simple and there are heaps of feature packed and cheap (relative to certified aircraft) modern panel option - this should not be a big issue for you at this stage.

Q5: Fabric covering is not hard and most people report it as being enjoyable.

Q6: Viking? Don't do it - stick to the well supported factory FWF packs. (But hen again, if you are really and experimenter....)And you have the options of some great modern engine packages - see latest Kitplanes Magazine review of available engines.

Q7: I don't know your wife and what makes her raise her eyebrows.

Q8: The great level of willing support from this site and the factory.

Q9: Wouldn't hesitate. And it would be much quicker.

Again, take your time, go and visit a few Kitfox owners, the factory, take a flight for a few hours with Stick and Rudder - this will inform you if this type of aircraft and flying is for you - if not, you get to stick with Cessnas.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

The only thing I would add to Ross's extensive and excellent comments relates to item 7. The propellor could be a large cost if you go for an inflight adjustable or especially a constant speed (electronic). That'll set you back around $7k or so. As per Ross' comment, don't know your wife but this cost might raise her voice a little ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

I'm very early in the build, so I can't address all of your questions, but I would like to speak to a few.

1.) The acquisition costs are a secondary or tertiary consideration here. It is much, much more expensive to own and operate a C182 than a Kitfox. I'm in a club that operates a C177. Do you know how much a tail tiedown "eyebolt" costs for a C177? I do. $900. No joke. I knew certified planes were expensive to maintain, but I had no idea how expensive until I owned part of one. And if you buy a 70s vintage 182, even a well-cared-for one, it's still a 40 year old airplane. Things will break, you won't be allowed to do the repairs yourself, and the parts will be costly. You'll have six cylinders to maintain, overhaul, and feed with gas. Now, if you want a 4 place with IFR capability, then maybe those expenses are worth it, but you should be honest about what 80% of your flying will look like. $100 hamburgers or serious cross-country travel? If you need an IFR 4 place occasionally, can you fly your Kitfox over to an FBO to rent a 182? My point is that both the flying and ownership experiences are wildly different between these two airplanes. A $70k Kitfox vs a $70k 182 is not an apples to apples comparison in any sense except purchase price.

4.)Dynon Skyview IS a simple VFR flight system. Unless you have a nostalgic connection to "steam gauges", these affordable, modern avionics are one of the big advantages to experimental vs certified. You won't get a glass panel in a 182 for $70k.

5.)The Kitfox covering instructions are sparse because they are intended as a supplement for the Poly Fiber manual which is available free online. EAA also teaches several classes per year around the country to learn theses skills. For fun, you can order a practice kit and try it. I built two practice kits. It's not too difficult.

1. I purchased the firewall aft kit in spring of 2012, with nearly every option the cost was under 25k. The build manual is excellent. I called the factory one time to clear-up an instruction. Your 70k for a completed aircraft is reasonable. As construction continued I ordered the fire wall forward kit (4.5k )followed be the engine and that followed by the avionics. My kit was completed and flying in one year and one month.

4. Dynon/Advanced gives the most options for inclusion of extras such as Angle of Attack,charts, and ADS-B

5. A polyfiber manual was included in the firewall forward kit. I had never done any fabric work but after attending an EAA fabric work shop (at Pane Field every fall) it was simple and enjoyable . Agree with Aviator 79.

7. Agree with Rossir. Stay with engines recommended by Kitfox.

8. Great support from factory and completeness of kit.

9. Yes.

Thank you guys!

And Rosslr you are right, I am in the early stages. but have been debating this issue for years.

I am not ready to spend 10,000 hrs building an RV yet. Per a previous post, I toured Cub Crafters and 305k for Cub is too much. A lean build on a Sportsman is 200k. Yesterday at Dynon I learned a bunch of their guys got together and built / own one. So perhaps fractional ownership on something like that might be a way to get more of an airplane and mitigate costs. - But then you share it with someone else for good or bad.

Then there is Dave. Dave is my friend who is pretty well heeled. He just bought a drop dead gorgeous C-185 with floats and absolutely stole it for under 130k.
    A true 6 place with 300hp and Cruises at 170mph. He can travel with Passengers, gear, do light STHOL, and Float flying.

BUT... It stays in a $500/month Hangar, he just put in a $300 battery, he is waiting for the final bill on the Annual, and who knows how many $900 eye bolts it will need. Did I mention it CHOPS GAS?

So... Now you are thinking "See why we all have a kitfox here?" I couldn't agree more with your choice. However, if I want to fly from KPAE to YKM in a Kitfox I have a few issues. 1st. the Daughter or wife would stay behind. 2. that is an big mountain range to be crossing with a very light 100hp AC.
    3rd $70k+ seems like a lot just to beat the air into submission on day VFR, doing $100 hamburger runs. (I wish they were still that cheap!!)

Please, I am not saying I am right here. I guess I am showing my decision loop which always brings me back to square 1 of undecided. I am also willing to look like a fool by asking questions before wrongly parting company with a lot of money.

Your thoughts and opinion are very appreciated! Thank you!

I agree with all that have posted. It sounds to me like you really need to focus on what your "mission" will be? The 80% rule, what the majority of your flying will be?

As has been stated, there is no one aircraft that will fill all needs. The whole "certified" thing did it for me. As you stated above with Dave, all the extra expenses associated with a certified aircraft really make it no contest.

Good luck with your decision. You're going about it in the correct way, ask lots of questions and do your homework.

Well my 2 cents. The $100 hamburger is only $30 in a kitfox. The 180 will cost about $100-$120 An hour to operate. The kitfox is about $20-30. That right there should throw any gas guzzling certified plane out the window in your search. We flew a Cherokee for years and 95% of the time the back two seats were empty. You can rent a plane if you need 4 seats.

Every aircraft you mentioned is waaay more expensive than an S7 so I find it slightly interesting you are balking at the 70k price when it will be the cheapest to own and operate out of all othe planes mentioned.

If it is your first build, I 100% recommend sticking to tried and true engines that the factory supports.

Another eye raising item is the firewall forward kit,it’s about $5,000

All in all I think you should buy a model IV 1200. My friend just bought one on floats with a 912ULS and constant speed prop for 40,000 CDN. It carries a little less but it is half the cost, gets you flying right away, and gives you time to decide if it’s big brother would be what you want. He lives in Golden, BC and big mountains are no problem. At 10,000’ he still is climbing 1000’ a minute solo.

If you go the used route, there are very few major cost surprises unless you don’t do your due diligence when inspecting before you buy. You will probably sell it for the same price you paid for it.
    Last edited by Esser; 01-04-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Smile Re: Some Kitfox Questions

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
    First major item to decide on, Do I really want to spend years building? 13 months is unbelievable. Awesome. I will possibly be finished in that amount of time but add an addtl year. I have significant free time since my boys are with me only 1/2 the time. I too have three soles to consider. I will be leaving one behind every time but it will never be me . I will spend a fair bit more than 70K. I have nearly every option, 912is motor, Dual screen Garmins with Auto Pilot and ADSB in and out. I live in the LA Basin not in the sticks.
    As was stated, this is a long term thing for me. I desperately need a hobby and I enjoy turning wrenches. For me, letting go of some money was a sanity issue. What was I going to do with my free time? I have no vices, no expensive habits, activities etc etc. Owning a Kitfox for the next 20-30 years... I will have saved that much money over 20 years by not renting a hangar. This has been one purchase I have not had any buyers remorse on. There will be unexpected costs for sure. Mine was a $1200-$1400 exhaust for the engine that I should have known didn't include the exhaust. Most other expenses come in the way of things that you didn't consider, like the qty of paint needed. I bought only half the qty I truly needed initially.
    As to the consideration of doing it again? I have not even finished this one but have already contemplated building a second since I am enjoying it so much. What am I going to do after work every day when its done? Certainly not watch TV. The second can be built much more leisurely and I can spread the cost over many more years. A radial engine on the next one.
    Eddie

I also agree with all that has been said, but no one tackled #2 so I will take a stab at the useful load capacity part of it and let others address the float plane part.
    The useful load issue is probably the weakest point of the Kitfox, as well as any Light Sport aircraft at 1320 lbs gross, so if you don't need the Light Sport rating I would highly recommend you build and register the Kitfox at its max engineered rating of 1550 lbs. If you go Light Sport, the SS7 at about 820 lbs empty+ 160 full fuel+ 2x200 people, adds up to 1380 lbs, so you see you already exceed the 1320 lb limit and you have no capacity for any baggage. So to make this work you will be flying your fishing trips with only 1/2 fuel in the tanks. At the 1550 lb rating you are in fine shape with full fuel and enough extra capacity for 170 lbs of baggage (which by the way you will not be able to use all because of rear CG limits). I have not figured in the weight of floats.

These weight issues are not unique to Kitfox, but to all light 2-place aircraft, in fact Kitfox is better than some. So again, your main mission has to be carefully defined.

By the way, I cross the Cascade Mountains in my light 100 hp Rotax Kitfox SS7 all the time, maybe twice a month, and think nothing of it (other than careful flight planning). It is so reliable that I often fly quite low over the mountains; not saying this is smart, but shows my trust in the Kitfox.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS