Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Looking good Brian! Hope to be where you are this time next year.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

You’re getting there... great job, Brian!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

A big milestone accomplished. I have a couple good friends who were willing to tolerate freezing temperatures and snow to get my wings moved and installed.

Fitting the hinged turtledeck. The photos show how I'm doing this without the slot to clear the flaperon tubes. Full disclosure: Despite thinking about it to make sure it would work, I made an error in the cuts that will make it difficult to completely remove the turtledeck. I don't plan to fold the wings though, so I think it will be fine. If I change my mind later, I can open up the cuts to make it easier to get on and off. But for now, I like being slot-less.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

WOW! Looks like an airplane Brian! Very nice. However, with all that snow, it doesn't look like you'll be flying for a little while.

Clark

Very nice Bryan. Good friends are invaluable.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cool Bryan. So close. I think, if I understand your situation, all that would have to happen for the next guy would be to cut the bottom joint at the front of the hole. Then you would be able to remove it all?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's correct Eddie. I made a straight cut at the bottom. I should have curved that cut the same way the notches are curved. The next guy would just have to make that cut curved enough to clear the torque tubes, which would open it up to about 1/2 inch at the bottom. You could then bond some Plexi inside to seal the gap when the turtledeck is closed. Like I said though, I don't plan to ever fold the wings, so I'm going to keep it like it is until I have a reason to change it. I was kicking myself because I had already reasoned out the curved cuts would be required, but when I marked it all out, I didn't do it. I'm over it now though. It will look good and hopefully seal out the drafts. I guess the lesson is that even when you're deviating from the manual, follow along the analogous steps in the manual. They might jog your brain on something.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

My slots ended up larger than I wanted. Part of me wants to reorder the Lexan and do what you’re doing
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I have a wide slot too, Josh, but I cut it like that on purpose. Probably not the most eloquent way to do it, but the thinner Lexan gap-filling pieces work nicely to close everything up. I put a small bend on one of the corners so that everything slips into the proper place without any fooling around when closing - you can see it in the picture below. The way that mine ended up, there is no rubbing against the fabric when opening or closing either... there was just the slightest gap between the turtle deck and the fuselage in that area. I didn't need a curved cut Brian... a straight one at the right angle worked fine for full clearance during removal because I could accept a bigger opening with the way that I used the Lexan "gap-fillers". Been flying in cold weather now, and there aren't any bad drafts that make it uncomfortable. You can see pictures around post #392 in my thread "John's Build".
    IMG_2254.jpg
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

yeh, my slots are too big as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X