Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: engine upgrade paperwork

Default engine upgrade paperwork

upgrading to a 912. Wondering if there are any requirements to the faa etc.. other than a new weight and balance?

Default Re: engine upgrade paperwork

Since this is a major alteration, I believe you must put it back into Phase I flight testing and fly off the hours (which I believe are reduced from the original 40 hours). I am not sure about required paperwork, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jared,

As far as what FAA would require for phase 1, might not be a bad idea to start with the FAA Manufacturing Inspection District Office (MIDO) that has jurisdiction in SD where you are located. I have found them extremely helpful and courteous with experimental folks. Straight shooters and helpful.

Minneapolis MIDO
    6020 28th Avenue South, Room 103
    Minneapolis, MN 55450-2700
    PH: (612) 253-4650
    FAX: (612) 253-4662

As far as record keeping - your aircraft engine logbook will need a normal entry which describes fully what was done. Replacing the engine would probably mean a new engine logbook. Since it is a different engine (upgrade) an entry for the aircraft logbook is in order also.

Weather or not the FAA/MIDO folks would want anything submitted to the aircraft registration branch or other in Oklahoma City would easily be answered by the MIDO folks.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Your operating limitations should outline what you need to do in regard to FAA notification for a major change, which is what an engine change is.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos