Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what gear do I have????

Default what gear do I have????

I have this gear on a KF2 that looks like airdale but Im not sure... I would like to put different spring on it that have more space so as to keep it from coil binding and bending the airframe... WHere can I get the springs from ???? Here are some photos....Thanks
    Mark Smith exfaa@outlook.com 907-378-9632
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: what gear do I have????

Could it be Kitfox bush gear made by Kitfox???It has bolted on axles...

The springs used are referred to as Die Springs. They are avaliable in different strengths depending on the wire diameter used. Do a Google search - die spring - and you will find many sources.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Also, FYI, die springs are principally used with dies and strippers on punch presses. Hence the term "die spring". One summer when I was a high school kid I traveled from Montana to Chicago on the train, stayed with my Grandparents and worked in a punch press factory across from Wrigley Field. I became very familiar with the presses and learned a little Italian profanity from one of the guys who ran one... a little old man who spoke very little English and constantly smoked shriveled-up little cigars that looked and smelled like cat-turds. I just thought it might be important for you guys to know that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Lol.......

Well, I for one enjoyed the read. So many memories and definitely some regrets. Summers, I too had opportunities to work in places that are today robot heavens. Some parts of the "good old days" really were good!
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Off topic, but these might be the cigars he smoked. Italian cheroots were often cut in half making them small and possibly appear "turd-like".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toscano_(cigar)
    RobS

How about a lesson in Italian profanity....might come in handy when I do my build. 😁

Zadwit, if I read your question correctly, it sounds like you are having problems with the spring suspension bottoming out and bending the gear. Aside from learning how to make smoother landings, it appears you have a couple of choices:
    1- To get more travel without remodeling the spring mounting collars, you could reduce the number of coils to get more space between coils, but that would increase the load when the spring finally bottoms, putting higher load on the gear. In addition the spring wire diameter would need to increase to handle the higher load.
    2- You could keep the same number of coils but reduce the wire diameter to give more travel, but that would allow the spring to start deflecting at a lighter load, probably not desirable.
    3- There are some other possibilities, including trying some different spring steel alloys that may offer a better compromise, but I don't really think anything is going to give you enough extra travel without major load changes to make the difference you are looking for.

Probably the best solution is to remodel the spring mounting area to allow a longer spring to be installed and/or add shock absorbers, or bigger softer tires.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I can land nice and smooth but what I have seen in Alaska when on skis or landing off airport sometimes you just hit stuff you didnt see or is under the snow. The spring set up does not have enough travel if you hit a ditch and I think the grove gear or bungees would go thru it....That is my delima... I can make smooth landing on smooth surfaces... the problem occurs off airport... and most of the time it isnt a problem but it only takes once.
    I orderd steel tubing and will make a bungee set up and replace the spring set up , I just dont trust it....