Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ordering and Options

Default Ordering and Options

Santa didn’t come through for me and I was a little too slow on the draw to get Jason’s Dreamster. As they say, you snooze...

Anyway, I’m thinking about starting from scratch and ordering a kit. So, I’m seeking advise on which options to the kit are worth it???

A little about the type of flying I plan to do: I would like some backcountry, but probably not hardcore, more like medium core (if that’s a saying). Probably be using it as to travel all over the western US. So, I need a balance for the mission. Planning tailwheel, and mostly Rotax. Beyond that I’m all ears...

Follow on question: What’s realistic build time with a dedicated 10hours a week?

Default Re: Ordering and Options

Ps. Any builders/owners near St. George Utah?

Hi LC - first congratulations on a good choice. Second, there is a recent post that discussed the options as you are considering. My short answer is to order all options!
    Build time? ..... that one will yield a lot of answers but it depends on if your 10 hrs is in a block or scattered, how familiar you are with this type of work, what sort of set up you have, how much support you have etc. But I am at the unskilled/inexperienced end of the builder spectrum and put in more than 10hrs/week and it took me 2 years. There will be more opinions!

Good luck and welcome - you wont regret the choice.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Mines in the garage, work on it regularly. Live in Metro LA, CA so everything I need to keep the progress going is right here including Aircraft Spruce. Make many trips to the aircraft section at the Home Depot. March will be two years and I hope this electrical work does not take me 6 months to do. I hope to fly in June or July. The only option I didn't get was the Laker Leading Edge. I have done several items that may have added up to the same time the leading edge would have taken. I also likely saved a good deal of time having used Oratex fabric. I have only had to paint the fiberglass, Struts and panels as well as graphics on the wings and fuse which I am accomplishing now. Hope that helps. If your in a hurry to fly maybe building will be arduous for you. I would love to fly soon but I am enjoying the build such that I go out and just say to myself, I'm building or painting something today, and when its done I am usually pleased with the outcome. Just being patient and enjoying the recreation part of it and one day I will be flying. Not a whole lot of things you do recreationally end up with such a Kick A-- accomplishment.
    Eddie

The best resource next to this forum is the factory support line. You will learn that John and Debra will spend the time to answer your questions. You can trust their answers. Your #1 rule of thumb when considering options is to build light. That being said I did what Ross did and ordered most options. I would say you want to absolutely buy the following options:
    Adjustable peddles, bubble doors, tinted doors and windows, black powder coating, wing tips with molded landing lights, Speedster tail kit, false ribs, Laker Leading Edge kit, baggage kit, factory upholstery. Your on the right track going for a Rotax 912. I would also get a constant speed prop if its in you budget. Build at your home if possible for the quickest build. Took me about 1200 hours building in my two car garage. I built it in just over a year. Give plenty of time for ordering FWF, Engine and Prop. I would have been done in less than a year if I would have ordered those options earlier. I would lean toward a glass panel. Have fun building it's a fun process and the manual is easy to follow. It was fun building and even more fun flying!!! I have over 700 hours in the 4 years since building. These are awesome planes!

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

I would agree with Scott, and add these options to the list: heavy duty AKB tailwheel, 8.50x6 smooth tundra tires, elevator assist spring, lift strut fairings, parking brake, and I'm sure there are a few others.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Great! Thanks so much for the info.

If you go with Oratex, do you get credit for not needing the poly fiber?

Can you choose your powder coating color?

False ribs, order extra for 4 per bay or stay with the standard?

What’s the difference between the 4130 streamline wing lift struts and the regular wing lift strut fairings?

What is the transport kit?

Wing tips, hoerner or standard?

How about tailwheel difference between the ABI-3200 and the T3?

I figure tires I’d go with 27 dessers over the airstreaks for cost and use on pavement. But, that can be decided later. Also, hope I can squeeze for the airmaster... But, again I’m getting ahead of myself...

All Good Questions. See below for my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Great! Thanks so much for the info.

If you go with Oratex, do you get credit for not needing the poly fiber? Kitfox is pretty reasonable giving credit changes to the standard kit. I hear on a cub polyfiber is about $6000 and Oratex is about twice the cost. I would seriously look at Oratex. I have heard some have problems with Oratex, but mostly from install errors. Lots of weight savings could be had.

Can you choose your powder coating color? Yes.

False ribs, order extra for 4 per bay or stay with the standard? Standard works fine.

What’s the difference between the 4130 streamline wing lift struts and the regular wing lift strut fairings? I would go with the Streamline!!!!

What is the transport kit? It is the kit used to fold the wings back. It's really nice if you plan on trailering to the airport. I used mine once to transport to the airport after the build.

Wing tips, hoerner or standard? I would get the standard with the landing light cutouts.

How about tailwheel difference between the ABI-3200 and the T3? The ABI-3200 is Alaskaairframes tailwheel and the T3 is the spring replacement. The T3 is a game changer. Takes the impact on the fuselage down to about 1/3 of the standard TW spring!

I figure tires I’d go with 27 dessers over the airstreaks for cost and use on pavement. But, that can be decided later. Also, hope I can squeeze for the airmaster... But, again I’m getting ahead of myself...
    I would also consider dual puck brakes if your going with 27" tires. You will need to upgrade to larger wheels for the 27" Dessers. Upgrade in the initial order to save yourself some money.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

I decided on Oratex after receiving my kit so I paid for the Polyfiber also. I paid in the neighborhood of $7000 for the Oratex. If you choose Oratex don't use foam on the vertical and horizontal stabilizers tips. The top of my vertical stab looks pretty crappy as I was unable to get wrinkles out with appropriate heat as the foam began to melt. Use Balsa Wood. Live and learn.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I decided on Oratex after receiving my kit so I paid for the Polyfiber also. I paid in the neighborhood of $7000 for the Oratex. If you choose Oratex don't use foam on the vertical and horizontal stabilizers tips. The top of my vertical stab looks pretty crappy as I was unable to get wrinkles out with appropriate heat as the foam began to melt. Use Balsa Wood. Live and learn.
    Eddie
    Good Tip Eddie! I noticed one builder didn't use anything on the ends of the Horizontal, vertical and elevator. It's a pretty simple solution and looks pretty good. Avoid all that work and just cover without foam or balsa would be a good solution. Keep it simple!
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7