Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rib Stitching Anyone??

Default Not a great place to be "Experimental"

You're certainly free to build your plane anyway you want, but I've got to say it -- the idea of "thousands" of planes flying around with the fabric simply glued the ribs sends a shiver down my spine. I've heard that the manual in the early kits didn't specify rib stitching but I had no idea that so many people actually skipped it. In the future I'll be inspecting the wing of any Kitfox I ride in!

I took the Polyfiber course last Spring and when the instructor showed us that weird knot, I thought I'd never be able to do it. But then after a few false starts, I was doing it. She gave us an hour to rib stitch two DC-3 stab's and I probably did four ribs myself in that much time. It just wasn't a big deal. It's really hard for me to imagine that someone with the patience to spend years building their own plane would skip attaching the fabric to the wings just to save a few hours work.

I'm no aeronatical engineer, but even I can figure this out -- without the fabric attached to the ribs, the airfoil becomes a simple elliptical arc, with the center of lift about a foot aft of the CG. I seriously doubt that you could fly that airfoil to a survivable crash. And if both wings didn't miraculously come unstuck simultaneously you'd enter an unrecoverable spin, anyway.

My wings will definately be rib-stitched, using the FAA-approved method, and I hope I've convinced anyone else reading this to do the same. This isn't a good place to be "experimental".

Default Re: Rib Stitching Anyone??

Just a couple of thoughts from a new guy... first, by rib stitching, the load imposed by lift generated by the upper surface fabric doesn't have to be carried by just the capstrip on the upper surface of the rib. Some of it is also transfered to the bottom of the rib by the stitching - the assembly acts more like a solid structure, safer & stronger. Also, I believe that it was un-stitched wing fabric coming un-stuck that was a huge factor in the death of Steve Whitman. Just a beginner's humble opinion.

John Evens, Thorp T-18 (N71JE) builder/owner, & soon to be Series 7 S.S. builder.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but; if I elect not to do the rib stitching I understand pop rivets with the bigger head can be used. If I go this route would I stagger them on each side of the ribs at 3" or on both sides every 3" inches. Know anyone ever doing this. Would this weaken the ribs?
    ALL INPUTS ARE WELCOME

One man's opinion: I'm not a fan of drilling holes in the cap strips of the ribs. You would also have to put a washer or some type of backer on each rivet to hold it from pulling through. That sounds like a real bear to me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Rib Stitching is a very satisfying part of fabric aircraft building, I can't
    imagine why so much energy devoted to discussion. I found it to be a
    rather pleasant winter weekend project when I built mine.

Of course maybe I was so high from MEK fukes I just thought it was fun ...

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

Rib lacing a kitfox is not a difficult job and I agree it is the most fun part of building. It does not take long and is a good chance to involve the significant other or the kids. Build a wing rib lacing rack and get a friend to pass the needle back and forth.

Take 5 minutes to see it done.

Sein Knot
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=22430488001

Finish knot
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=23753223001

Bob,

If a person is trying to decide this one - rather than me expressing my opinions, there is another way to think about it. After all, I have only built one airplane - I might not be that much of an expert.

1) If you are involved with an EAA chapter, the chapters have technical counselors who are really useful - see what they/he/she say. These folks want you to succeed and will advise accordingly.

2) There is a litmus test - contact the person who will be your DAR - see what she/he thinks. The DAR will be inspecting your airplane down the road and will sign off on an airplane certification they are convinced will not tarnish their record. Your DAR has a knowledge base on these matters and also wants you to succeed.

Happy new year,

Dave S
    St Paul, MN

I just finished ribstitching my wings about a month ago. Once you get the hang of it, its just repitition. As a first time builder I'm tryinhg to not cut any corners and feel it was well worth the time for the extra fabric support.

OK, I convinced. Rib stitching it is. Thanks for everyone's input on this. The more I thought about it, the more I realized the correct answer. And it may pan out to be a fun experience with enough fumes. "Close the windows and bring the glue, Honey were going to rib stitch". I'll let ya know how it went this spring when I can open the windows and get some fresh air.

I believe the manufacturer of the kit recommends rib stitching. That's enough for me. At the speeds we can now attain with Kitfox's it would be reasonable and prudent to follow the recommendation of the folks that sell the kits.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear