Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Spar attach fittings, flox or microballons?

Default Re: Spar attach fittings, flox or microballons?

Another question about the spar fittings. They seem to be very tight when I slide them on a trial piece of 2 1/2" aluminum tubing and leave scratches when I take them off. How do you get them on without damaging the spar? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

They are indeed tight. The Hysol that you'll smear on them will lubricate them a little as you install them. Just go slowly and carefully. They will scratch the spar a bit, but it shouldn't be so severe as to create a concern with fatigue crack initiation or stress concentration. As an extra margin, the area will be reinforced with a steel doubler (the bracket), and a liberal quantity of structural adhesive to fill any scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    They are indeed tight. The Hysol that you'll smear on them will lubricate them a little as you install them. Just go slowly and carefully. They will scratch the spar a bit, but it shouldn't be so severe as to create a concern with fatigue crack initiation or stress concentration. As an extra margin, the area will be reinforced with a steel doubler (the bracket), and a liberal quantity of structural adhesive to fill any scratches.
    And really make sure they are deburred throughly with nothing that will caus a stress riser.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Maybe I'm a little paranoid about this most highly stressed, extremely important structural area, but I personally would not trust the Hysol to protect against scratches. A scratch caused by sliding on the bracket is transverse to the spar, the worst possible direction for a stress riser on the spar. My brackets were also too tight to get on without danger of scratches, so I put them in a vise (padded jaws) and spread them just a little until they slipped on nicely. Very easy to do.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

That is what I did as well.
    Eddie