(These comments pertain to EAB's in the U.S. Canada actually has easier rules on this)

No, you can't legally hire someone to build an amateur built plane. BUT, if you are the person that "finishes" building the plane (even the last 2% of the project), after an inspection by a DAR you will receive an airworthiness certificate for your new plane (assuming it is safe and built well enough to pass the inspection). And if you can prove you know something about the build and how to maintain it, if you apply for it you most likely can get a repairman certificate for it as well.

This has been done countless times with experimental amateur built aircraft. Many, many of the original builders give up on airplane projects they started. Sometimes there are numerous builders before the last guy finishes it and registers it. Think about it, if that weren't true no one would ever buy a "project" as it would only be good for parts, right?

I have literally seen a guy bolt a prop on, connect the battery, then call the inspector, and not only get the AW certificate, but also the repairman. Everything else was done by others before him on the plane. Best part, he did that exact thing on 3 planes I knew of (he had a wealthy older friend that loved to build planes but wasn't much of a flier, and didn't want any builders liability, so they both had a pretty good arrangement).

The 51% rule applies to how much of the plane is fabricated by the builder, or builders. That doesn't mean one person has to build 51%, as many seem to think.

Sometimes I swear we are our own worse enemy. People work out deals all the time to have more experienced builders help them put together an airplane. And I sure don't have an issue with that. That is between the owner and the other guy as far as I'm concerned. And frankly, those planes are many times some of the nicest built, safest homebuilts out there.

My final thoughts, consider finding multiple people to help you. One guy to assemble airframe, another to cover and paint, another to do engine and panel, and another to do interior, etc, etc. Not everyone has time to build a whole plane start to finish, but if you "general" it out like people do building a house, you might even find it to be a fun project to oversee.

Ok, squeezing into my flame-proof suit now.... (haven't had it on in a while )