Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P mag reviews

Default Re: P mag reviews

Thanks for the background info John. Very interesting. I was initially concerned about reliability with these units because I thought they were a relatively new adoption by engine manufacturers. I think your comments about Champion/Lasar CDI units are about right because Ben McGuiness, another KF7S builder installing the injected version of my engine here in Melbourne told me some time back that he had to swap out his CDI unit for a replacement because of performance or reliability issues. But from my reading, it appears that the CDI systems seem to provide more efficient spark energy - at least that's the claim - which can overcome some common starting and rough running problems, i.e. over priming, fouled plugs etc. Almost sounds too good to be true, but i'll know in around 4-5 months - hopefully.

Yes, Bruce, looking forward to sidling up next to Ross's KF in the new year.
    David
    SS7 Builder

What about electro air (eis) systems?
    Seen them on aircraft spruce, reasonably priced for experimental aircraft?
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

I used http://g3ignition.com/products.html so I wouldn't have to worry about a electrical failure, could use and modify my current mags and could play around with running in E.I. mode or mag mode. Not variable timing curve like some.
    Kevin Ebsen

FWIW - I used an Electroair ignition on an RV-6 for 800 hours and it was still running strong when I sold it. The mag went south on me while over the Rockies - the Electroair never missed a beat.

Aircraft Magneto Service in Missoula just did the 500 hour inspection on my Skylane for under $500/each. Runs like a new airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    Aircraft Magneto Service in Missoula just did the 500 hour inspection on my Skylane for under $500/each. Runs like a new airplane.
    That's the shop I used on mine, they actually bought a G3I system so they could test the mags I sent them for overhaul in both E.I. Mode and Mag mode. FWIW
    Kevin Ebsen