Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: best engine for distance and speed?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: best engine for distance and speed?

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    I think having a cross country cruise speed that gets you places reasonably while still having STOL capabilities to go in and out of short strips, haul a reasonable load, be relatively inexpensive to own and operate, and yet be able to be a good ski plane, a float plane, a tri gear or a taildragger, or a fun sport aerobatic plane with wings that fold for storage is a pretty large list of capabilities. I'm not sure there are any other designs that can claim all that.

But I agree, if speed is the major goal a Kitfox is not the airplane. I like the balance of all things listed above. Otherwise I'd be flying a Glasair 3 with 350 hp and twin turbo's to get me where I need to go.

But that wouldn't be half the fun as getting there in the Kitfox
    Speed isn;t the be all end-all. I would be using the plane to get to remote locations and I want to have fun doing it. A Cessna 182 doesn;t scream fun to me. I want a stick, not a yoke. I want to be able to put the side windows down, hand out the window, smell the fresh air, etc etc. I;m in a hurry, but not in a hurry. The alternative is that I drive 5-10hrs every cpl days. Told my boss I'd rather just get my pilot's license (something I've wanted to do ever since I grew up under the flight path in Vancouver, BC)

I just want to know the best outfit possible on a Kitfox
    Last edited by bubbrubb21; 11-26-2017 at 12:02 PM.