Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Trim amp draw

Default Trim amp draw

In the SS7 kit, does anyone know the amp draw on the trim motor for the elevators, I want to use a stick control, Ray Allen would be my first choice as I have that in the plane I am flying now. It is really nice to have this on the stick rather than reaching around/down for the same function.

Default Re: Trim amp draw

I am trying to get my Garmin auto trim to function with this trim motor. Just spoke with John M. On Thursday. I get to spend $250 for a special device to allow the Garmin to operate that motor. I believe he said it was a 7 amp motor. Much higher than the Ray Allens. He definitely knows that answer so I would call him. I guess what I am saying is, don't quote me on it. I didn't commit it to memory as I just stopped listening when I found out I had to spend $250 more dollars to get my AP system operational.
    Eddie

Thank you,

I will send an email out to Kitfox, Yieks, $250.00 is high for this operation.

Jim

My information on the trim motor also agrees with 7 amps. A 7.5 amp circuit breaker was recommended for this circuit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just use a relay with the Ray Allen switch... or am i misunderstanding the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    Just use a relay with the Ray Allen switch... or am i misunderstanding the question?

I have a spare used relay I’ll sell you. PM me if interested or contact me on mike (at) wolflakeairport (dot) net
    Thanks!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Thank you,

I will send an email out to Kitfox, Yieks, $250.00 is high for this operation.

Jim
    There are 3 methods.. If you are NOT using an AutoPilot with auto trim you can simply use 2 relays (Trim up & Trim Down) Each stick control is run in parallel to the relays.
    2nd option is to purchase the safety trim from us.. it also has the airspeed switch that slows the trim down at cruise speeds. $230.00
    3rd is with the Garmin system Autopilot (haven't tested any others) Requires a different safety trim device due to the amp draw. $245.00
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

This is how I did it. I used Ray Allen grips/switches and it works fine. Just need to make sure the relay contacts can handle the motor current.
    You will need 2 double throw, double pole relays.

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtorelays.html
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I will consider these options and still do some more research on how the relays work and speed controllers. Since there is just a switch provided with the kit and no relay, is the relay built into the provided switch? There are many things I know or at least I think I know, but electrical is on the low end of the knowledge curve for me.

Thank's guys

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    ... Since there is just a switch provided with the kit and no relay, is the relay built into the provided switch? ...
    There is no relay built into the switch, Jim. It is a relatively simple 2 pole 3 position, momentary contact switch. When wired the right way it’s used to reverse the polarity of the d.c. voltage going to the trim motor. The thing is that it has large enough contacts for the electrical load in this application as well as the proper mode of operation, and the switches normally available and small enough for mounting in a stick grip do not. It’s easier, if using those switches in the grip, to control a couple of relays with adequate size contacts to perform the same function. Why two relays? A single relay of the proper design could do the job, but it would be a more expensive, complicated and less common design... probably either basically a “double relay” with 2 coils in one package or a solid state design of some sort. That’s my take on it anyway.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime