Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adjustable rudder pedals

Default adjustable rudder pedals

I am ready to set the rudder pedals and install the cables. When setting the levers in the middle position how much change is there in inches of the pedals when moving the adjustable levers one notch? I am wondering for a person at 5' 5" would it be better to set the levers at a different position than the middle notch to bring the pedals a bit closer to the pilot?

Talking Re: adjustable rudder pedals

Im 5’4””. I think youll just want to set it up as prescribed. Mine arent rigged yet but having flown with Stick and Rudder I didnt have any problem given the seat cusions used will put you at the correct position. I just ordered my booster seat last week. Im not ashamed of using a “booster” seat. Im Ok being short. I’ll be flying my own airplane and my six foot tall friends will just have to get in, buckle up and shut up!

Default Re: adjustable rudder pedals

Thanks for the reply.

I am building from a series 5 kit that I bought from the original purchaser. He did not intend to include the adjustable rudder pedals but, I build a KF5 15 years ago and I too did not include the adjustable rudder pedals on that kit however, I did get the kit so, I have the parts below that I would like to use on this build.

My problem is that the manual does not include instructions for the adjustable rudder pedal system. What I need is to see what it looks like and if possible get the parts list for the additional items that I don't have. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The manual is Kitfox's proprietary information, so the best thing to do would be to ask them for the parts and instructions. I'm sure they can get you squared away.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Looks like you have everything you need except the handle detent brackets. You are going to need to cut down your horns on your rudder torque tubes. Those pulleys go on the torque tubes now. You will need to fabricate a piece of strapping so the cables can in advertently jump off the pulleys.

What happens is the cable comes from the rudder, goes around the pulley, and connects to the handle. You will need to make brackets for the indent of those handles that will be almost identical to the flap handle bracket except 5 positions instead of 3.

Set up your cables so the rudder is as close to the firewall as you want it when the handle is in the most forward position. Once that is set, when you pull on the handle, the pedals will move closer. I hope this explanation makes sense.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I don't have a great picture showing this but hopefully these pictures help...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Big help. Thanks. If someone has pics of a complete installation I will appreciate seeing the cable attachments to the levers. I think from the pics below I know what to do but want to be sure.

When I get home from work I'll try to remember to take a picture.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Check the assembly manual at Kitfox.com website. It shows the SS7 but it may help guide you in the right direction. To get there from the home page, click on - Aircraft Kits - SS7 - Assembly Manual - Fuselage. The directions are around page 45 and also in Appendex A.

Ralph