Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should I call about a drone in my airspace?

Default Who should I call about a drone in my airspace?

I walked outside yesterday to hear a strange buzzing sound. I finally spotted the drone buzzing down the edge of my airstrip. It quickly disappeared but I don't want this be become an issue at a later date when I start flying. Who should I call if I see this drone again? The FAA came up with the rulings on drone flying, but can they enforce them?

Default Re: Who should I call about a drone in my airspace?

What, that was not a clay Pigeon, whoops I'm sorry,

Sums it up for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Free stuff!!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Free stuff!!
    With little holes in it!

Contact your local FSDO, they should have a person who is responsible for UAV issues. If you have a private airstrip it may be difficult to be able to do anything legally. Most likely the person flying it was within line of sight. If you can figure out who owns it, go talk to them and let them know you don't want them over your property and airstrip.

The whole thing with drones it ratcheing up after a military helicopter flying at 500' hit a drone and made a landing in NJ. They had to change the rotor blades.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OtwiW5sabpeFz1
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Maybe a softer approach is to find the person, talk to him and work things out in a friendly manner. You said in your first post, "when you start flying" so it really isn't much of a problem at this point is it? Maybe you call the FAA on him now, maybe later "when you start flying" he calls the FAA on you for some real or imagined bending of the rules. Nobody wins then. JImChuk

As much as I would LOVE to shoot a drone out of the sky. I am betting you would be the one in trouble for damage to property. I think this has been done before and it didn't turn out pretty for the shooter. I am in NO WAY taking up for the drone and I am in the same boat as I fly out of my own grass strip. However outside of the fact that I am in the plane it would be no different than you flying your plane over someone's property and getting shot at. Remember the 500' rule for manned flight in rural areas. That applies horizontally with no vertical limit in sparsely populated areas. Who defines sparse is up to interpretation. Just be careful before unloading a gun. But if you do get it on video for the rest of us

I personally wouldn't call anyone. I'd try to find the Drone flyer FIRST and make him aware your location and flying plans. Go from there and see what happens.

I think you'd appreciate someone talking to you FIRST before calling the Sheriff, FAA and Homeland Security. Just remember the shoe may be on the other foot if someone doesn't like a low flying plane over their property.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I walked outside yesterday to hear a strange buzzing sound. I finally spotted the drone buzzing down the edge of my airstrip. It quickly disappeared but I don't want this be become an issue at a later date when I start flying. Who should I call if I see this drone again? The FAA came up with the rulings on drone flying, but can they enforce them?

I agree with this approach.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS