Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing AOA

Default Landing AOA

Does anyone know what the typical angle of attack is on approach with and without flaps? Trying to set the landing light angles. Thanks.

Default Re: Landing AOA

I think you might be more interested in the angle of the thrust line with respect to the ground, rather than AOA which is wing cord with respect to air stream. My approach, 1/2 flaps, at 60 mph puts the underside of the wing about level with the horizon. When I slow to 55 mph over the fence it has a slight positive angle. I would set a landing light to point just a little down from that 55 mph angle.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks. That will help.

Straight ahead to a little down depending on your approach speed. I finally got to fly mine at night last month; it looks like straight ahead is perfect. I was approaching at about 60 mph.

You probably won't be doing STOL approaches at night, otherwise it would be about 10-12 degrees down.

If you have two lights consider getting a wide angle light as a taxi light. If you have a tailwheel plane you will want to angle it down about 10 degrees.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I don't know if this will help. but on my rv I have them set different from left and right. One is straight out for taxi and the other is down for when coming in. now you didn't mention if you have a tail or nose wheel. I would think that a little down from straight out for when on final and one that hits just right for taxi in a tail wheel. how I mentioned for the nose wheel. hope this makes sense.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I just got to thinking on this. I think my rv has one a little high and the other at normal for taxi. that way on coming in I can see more of the runway. I generally dive so to speak at the runway and flare at the last little bit for touch down. all I know is, I see really good coming in, way down the runway. after touch and the front is down, I see really good taxi to park. you want each light at a different angle.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop