Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot Cowl

Default Re: Boot Cowl

When I wash my plane and windshield I put a strip of 2" blue masking tape across the bottom of the windshield. I didn't think about putting a channel on the inside, that's a good idea.

I normally clean the bugs off the windshield with a spray bottle and microfiber cloth.

Thank you John. I really enjoyed this part of the build. The baffles are done in white powder coating. The white makes it easy to see if anything is leaking or cracked.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Just wondering out loud whether a "P" seal attached to the inner edge of the boot cowl that butts up against the windshield might work. You'd need to have a bit of pressure against the seal to compress it to form a water resistant seal. I haven't got to this point yet (couple of weeks off) so not too familiar with the geometry but would it be possible to put screws through the boot cowl and windshield into anchor nuts bonded to the inside surface of the windshield ?.
    Last edited by David47; 10-04-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Does velcro make a waterproof seam? Has anyone tried it? Just thinking out loud.
    Brian

Velcro is not water proof. It will resist flow through it temporarily. In my experience, water weakens the bond between the two surfaces. I have lost stuff while SCUBA diving this way.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I'm kind of curious how those of you who choose not to seal up the windshield to cowl gap deal with washing your airplane and/or windshield without letting water drip down into the electronics area? I can understand never flying in the rain and using a cover when parked outdoors, but wonder about washing. Maybe you never use a hose to rinse it off?
    This question resulted in me removing the cowl and evaluating what behind the panel is vulnerable to possible water drips. The only thing that extended forward of the windshield was the altitude encoder and only about 3/4" of one corner. This was evaluated only considering the exact area below the lip of the windshield. I had also recently washed the airplane to prepare it for our local hot rod and airplane show here. I carefully inspected anything in harms way for any evidence of water - lots of dust under there and found nothing. Because of many vulnerable areas wing roots, turtle deck, horizontal stabilizer root fairings, etc. I try to be prudent with the hose.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

You are right Lowell, the water dripping problem depends a lot on your layout of the electronics bay. I was thinking mostly about my layout that has two shelves that extend under the drip line with things like xponder, engine instrument module, etc. mounted on them. If a person were planning to leave that area unsealed you could deliberately mount vulnerable items out of harms way.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS