Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox V history ?

Default Kitfox V history ?

Going to look at a Kitfox V unassembled soon. Guy says it’s 20 years old. Confirmed it is a KF 5 with all manuals etc. I didn’t know they made it that long. It is powder coated for what it’s worth. Were there any updates along the 5 production that I should know about ? Thanks all

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Kitfox V history ?

There used to be a history page on the Kitfox LLC site, I don't see one on their current website. ( eyes to top Left)

I am going off of memory now so I may not be totally accurate.

The original Model 5 series were sold as a trigear or a taildragger and had a gross weight of 1400lbs . I think these models of the 5 came out in 1995. They had specific names, Vixen for the trigear and Safari for the taildragger.

I am not sure what year they made the change but the model 5 series had a gross weight increase to 1550lbs. Their names switched to the Outback for the taildragger and Voyager for the trigear.

I have a 1998 Skystar catalog that lists the Outback and Voyager in it and their specifications.

I own an Outback it was a 1998 kit.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Look at the spars. If they are .062" walls they are the 1550 GW.
    There were updates from the 5 to 6 to swap from conventional to tricycle and there is an elevator push tube change that happened somewhere, but the 5, 6, and 7 are basically the same airframe.
    I picked up a 20 yr old Series 5 tail dragger and am glad I did! Saved over half the cost of a new 7. (Sorry John...)
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I can't find the history page at the Kitfox website anymore. Here is a link to the Kitfox history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Kitfox

Around 1994 to 1995 they increased the gross weight of the model 5 from 1400 to 1550 pounds. The names of the planes changed as well as the spar thickness.

I have a 1999 Outback (tailwheel only). FYI the serial number contains the year and month that the airframe was produced.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

And mine is a 94 safari with short wing: 1200 GW

I recently purchased the quick change wing extension kit from Kitfox, which will bring GW up to 1400 on mine.

Smile Re: Kitfox V history ?

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Going to look at a Kitfox V unassembled soon. Guy says it’s 20 years old. Confirmed it is a KF 5 with all manuals etc. I didn’t know they made it that long. It is powder coated for what it’s worth. Were there any updates along the 5 production that I should know about ? Thanks all
    I own a Series V Speedster - it's serial number 1. I bought the kit in 1995 from SkyStar Aircraft, which at the time was owned by Phil Reed. It was completed in 2009 and I now have over 100 hours on it with the 912ULS. It was certified as an E-LSA so I didn't care about the gross weight, although the first few Series V's had a 1400 lbs gross, the later versions around 1996 went to a beefier spar and the gross went up to 1550. The series 6 and 7 are pretty much the same as the 5 with many more improvements. John McBean has done a stellar job of advancing the Kitfox line of aircraft. It continues to be a great flying machine! Hope that helps.

Almost positive one I looked at would fall into the Skystar era. Anything to be afraid of here? Thanks.

I would say no, the earlier models are fully supported by Kitfox. My 1999 model 5 was from Skystar and I did not have any problems. You can upgrade almost everything to be like the model 7SS if you want to, other than changing the landing gear from nose to tailwheel.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Almost positive one I looked at would fall into the Skystar era. Anything to be afraid of here? Thanks.
    I don't think you have anything to be concerned about regarding that. Kitfox, LLC is an excellent company and I believe supports the entire line of Kitfox aircraft regardless of age. With due respect to Mr. Nelson's post, I recall John McBean, President of Kitfox telling me I could change the aircraft from tailwheel to nose wheel, or vice versa. So I guess the current company can do it all. Pull the trigger, go fly!

I have an early model V at 1400 gross. One major change between them not mentioned so far is the cargo area is much smaller due to a cross member in the fuselage where the seven cargo would normally be. This was changed quickly on later models but mine has cargo very similar to a IV.
    Attached Images Attached Images