Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mangy Fox

Default Re: The Mangy Fox

The tail spring is a used unit I got from 3 Tracks. My plane was built for a 1-1/2 wide spring, so I had to do a little machining on the bracket to make it fit. I ran it a couple hours before putting on the tires. It is stiffer than my old steel spring, but it won't sag. Also, you have to look close, but I updated the tail tire. I used a 6-ply Aero Classic tire instead of the really crappy 4-ply that came with the Matco assembly. The 6- ply is $40 and the 4 is $38. Easy choice.

The 26" Airstreaks are also used, procured on the trip. I put 1/2 a gallon of Herculiner on them to "retread" and they should be good to go for a while.

Flight testing will commence in a couple hours. Have to mow the lawn, first...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Gee whiz, Larry... that's a beautiful bird. For me, that's ideally how a Kitfox should look. I'm intrigued with those tail-springs... can you tell me the weight difference between it and the current Kitfox 3-leaf spring?
    I honestly didn't weigh it before and after. By the heft test, it is lighter than the 1-1/2" 3-leaf spring I had.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Mangy Fox is really coming together to be what you originally envisioned, now with those big tires, long prop, and tall gear. It really looks cool.

As you test it out more, let me know where the good places are around here to booney bash. I have some 29's along with an 11 inch tailwheel for my Highlander I've never tried, but would like to.

There's lots of challenging small strips in the neighborhood, Paul. Mine is probably tops on that list. 18R and 36L at Meyer International are good ones. Jim's Hatley airport is fun, so is Paul's out in Norrie Brook (where the chapter meeting this month will be - hint hint.)

Unfortunately, there's not much public land to play on around here, like out west...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yeah, we don't have the same booney bashing opportunities around Wisconsin that exists out west. That's why I like float flying. From a seaplane flying perspective Wisconsin is one of the best places in the world.

I've often wondered about operating in and out of old gravel pits as I used to do some of that in a friends pit years ago. But he has since sold it.

Lots of private/grass strips in your neighboring state. Heck, I rarely go to any public use airports since there are several strips on guys property in my area. As for lakes to land on...Minnesota has a couple. LOL

That photo says a lot .... like "I'm here, I'm a backcountry bloke (Aus slang ) and I'm gonna do stuff ....". Very nice.

Question: What is that tailwheel setup ?. I like the fact is seems to jack the tail up a bit more than the standard Matco 8" with standard 3 leaf-spring gear ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

It is a Grove aluminum tail spring with the standard Kitfox mount. The wheel is a standard 8" Matco pneumatic tailwheel, with an Aero Classic 280/250x4 6-ply tire.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I like my setup with the T3 and the Matco 8inch wheel.
    T3.jpg
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop