Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Coming to Australia

Post Coming to Australia

I have recently completed my travel arrangements to fly Qantas to Cairns early next March. Consider this just a hypothetical question from a SS7 builder wanting to help his Australian brethren. Is there anything that I could obtain and bring with me that is difficulty for you to get there? Consider size and weight before answering.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Default Re: Coming to Australia

Well Jch, Ill be needing a prop about then so .... !

Seriously, you're going to a picturesque part of our country so maybe scam a ride from a local amateur builder or if you have a ppl, do yourself a favour and hire an aircraft and get a birdseye view of the local area - it's pretty nice.

Ross Rynhart (Built an ss7 and flying), Ben McGuire (building an ss7 and almost complete) and myself (building an ss7 and about 60% done) all live in Victoria, about 1200 miles south so it's a pity we couldn't have caught up.

Whatever you do, have a great trip and hope you enjoy your stay.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Now THAT is Kindness! Lovely to experience.

May you be blessed, Jch!
    Reid

Hi Jch, thanks for your kind offer!
    Like David said, we are 1200 miles south and I have most of the parts I need to finish my build.
    Hope you enjoy Australia!
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to let others know that I would help out if I could.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

JCH,
    Hello from another SS7 builder who is also way south in Victoria ( half way to Antartica from Cairns).
    You are a kind and thoughtful person.
    Cairns is not a bad place but, really a staging place for the good bits. Beach is not much as they actually brought in sand to cover the mud from the river.
    Doubtless you will travel to the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling . Usual method is by boat but, as a pilot , you may prefer the Beaver on floats or a helicopter.
    Also, take the train up into the rain forest and a drive up to Port Douglas ( an hour or so North) for beaches , luxury accom and views.
    Good places to eat in Cairns , from memory are; The Hilton hotel garden lounge and the Cairns Yacht Club ( good cheap food but, very casual and a favourite of the late Lee Marvin from his big game fishing days). The seafood will be great wherever you go and steak is leaner than Americans are used to but , tender.
    There is (was) a typical Australian pub ( not far from the city centre) that serves good steaks at a reasonable price ( for Australia) but, the name escapes me for the moment. If I remember the name, I will get back to you. Nothing at all fancy, mind you.
    March is getting towards the end of the humid season . Be sure to only swim in the netted areas and stay well away from any jelly fish that you see. Believe any warning on signs at the beach and ask if not sure. Days still hot ( think hats and sunscreen 50+) but, nights are wonderful. I hope that you enjoy.